Default future of Tomcat sites on Westhost / update on WH 4 switchover

What is the migration plan for Tomcat-using accounts once Westhost switches over to "WH 4.0" ?

I also have not heard or gotten any situation updates on when the current WH setup will stop being run. I really do hope Westhost gives adequate lead time (6 months would not be that unreasonable, although I think many - including me - are counting on 12...) before not making that available anymore (if that is the plan).

The further away it is the better....

andz,

If you need to use Apache Tomcat it is recommended that you go the VPS.NET platform. Unfortunately this feature will not be supported in the WestHost 4.0 environment (http://www.westhost.com/30to40comparison.html). We are currently still working on the WestHost 4.0 platform and once we have it tested and completed we will beging to roll it out to new clients. Existing clients will be upgraded later down the road. There is still no set deadline for this but once we have worked out the details for existing client upgrades we will notify you. We will make sure that we give ample time for these changes to our existing clients.
    Sincerely,

Clint Reeves
    Client Service Manager
    WestHost

Believe in Better Hosting
    http://www.westhost.com/

Hi, any update on this issue?

I can see that Westhost has stopped offering the old reseller plan, but we have still not been sent any explicit warning on when the move to WH4.0 will take place.

As many have mentioned before, we will need an absolute minimum of 6 months warning before you shut down WH3.0, preferably 1 year. As a reseller, I will need to stop offering new plans to our clients based on the WH3.0 platform, and we need a definitive time to stop doing this.

Majority of our clients are very happy on the WH3.0 platform and we really hate to move away from this because WH4.0 is just totally different.

I love Westhost and its support, but sadly, because WH4.0 does not offer any real differentiation from our existing cPanel hosting packages, for us the obvious move is to consolidate our WH3.0 customers which do not use Tomcat or shell features into those and stop offering the otherwise quite profitable pseudo-VPS plans.

We will be sending an official notice in our latest Client Connection newsletter, scheduled to go out by the end of this week, that will provide a bit more information regarding the 3.0 to 4.0 migrations on cPanel. The good news for many is we will not be forcing any clients on the 3.0 platform to migrate to our 4.0 platform. We will continue to maintain our 3.0 platform into the foreseeable future with the caveat that this technology is officially end-of-life and there is no further support from the hosting platform software company. We will maintain patched Linux packages, including kernels, and updated Site Applications to mitigate security vulnerabilities on our 3.0 servers.

As for clients that wish to migrate from 3.0 to 4.0, we are working on a process to automatically migrate a client to the new platform. A time line for providing this tool has not been defined at this point but clients will be notified as we approach a solid date.
    Best regards,

Matt McBride (CCNP, CCDP, CISSP)
    IT Manager
    WestHost

When you expect more from your Web host

Quote Originally Posted by mmcbride View Post
    The good news for many is we will not be forcing any clients on the 3.0 platform to migrate to our 4.0 platform. We will continue to maintain our 3.0 platform into the foreseeable future with the caveat that this technology is officially end-of-life and there is no further support from the hosting platform software company.
    That is great news. Thank you.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    -Plato.

Default Will Perlfect Search Remain?

WONDERFUL NEWS TO KEEP WH3!!!

Will Perlfetch Search remain on WH3?

I cannot emphasize enough how important the WH 3.0/VPS platform is to a lot of us.

The 3.0 VPS is a unique offering and lot of us have invested a lot of time and effort in developing applications in it. There is no equivalent offering available here or elsewhere when looking at the combination of

1)Capabilities (installing/compiling programs, almost root access)
    2)Managed solution
    3)Cost per independent host/node

Not having any one of these is a dealbreaker. Migrating from WH 3.0 is simply not viable and/or impossible for some of us.

The new shared hosting and VPS options might work for a lot of people, that's great for them. But honestly, we can get these at any of the hundreds of other hosting providers (this can of course give you great flexibility if your application fits this model )

I'm VERY GLAD and relieved that WH has decided to let us stay on WH 3.0. Even if the platform is just maintained as it is, we can stay on it for 2-4 years. Hopefully WH will upgrade and maintain newer releases of packages (like PHP 6.0 etc).

Please make sure the right folks in management are aware of the gravity of this so nobody makes a hasty decision to End-Of-Life WH3.0 and force us to move off it. That'd be terrible.

I sure wish this had been announced before I moved my site to VPS.NET and closed my Westhost account. At VPS.NET I only get 1/10 the storage that I had for the same price at Westhost.

--
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by mmcbride View Post
    We will be sending an official notice in our latest Client Connection newsletter, scheduled to go out by the end of this week.
    The last Client Connection I received was 5/5/09 - not sure why they've stopped coming
    Richard

I have jotted down some of my meddlings at http://www.rollingr.net/wordpress
    Click here for a full list of formatting codes for this forum

rolling,

We have been sending them out each month. I am sorry that you have not been receiving them. I wonder if we have your current email address on file?

If you want to send me a private message with your email address then I will make sure that it is added to our next newsletter.
    Sincerely,

Clint Reeves
    Client Service Manager
    WestHost

Believe in Better Hosting