Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

emuflies,

They are not going to be able to give you a specific time frame beyond what they have already mentioned. They won't make the move until they are satisfied that everything with the new system is solid. That means they don't want to rush things. This is a good thing really. It really is a no win situation for them. If they give a date and then can not meet it because they want to work out the kinks more or add features before release then they get slammed by folks. If they don't give folks a date they get bugged about when it is going to happen. I know I wouldn't want to be in their position.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

emuflies,

We can definitely understand your concern with this question. Once we are finished with Beta we will then move into the launch stage for WestHost 4.0 with new accounts. After we are satisfied with the launch we will begin to create a migration schedule for existing clients. As Shawn mentioned it would be extremely difficult in determining when this migration will begin. However having said this, the migration will be coming and it is clear that we will no longer be offering a VPS solution through WestHost. While the new WestHost 4.0 platform will be an upgrade for most for those that need a VPS solution can begin to make your plans to transition over to VPS.NET at any time. WestHost unfortunately is not going to be a long-term VPS solution since the technology we have employed is at end of life. While you still have ample time to make a decision you could move over to VPS.NET at any time.
    Sincerely,

Clint Reeves
    Client Service Manager
    WestHost

Believe in Better Hosting
    http://www.westhost.com/

Is there any feedback on the Beta? I went to sign up for my test platform today (I've been busy) only to find that the Beta test ended yesterday

I'd be interested to hear people's experience.
    Richard

I have jotted down some of my meddlings at http://www.rollingr.net/wordpress
    Click here for a full list of formatting codes for this forum

Well WH 4.0 uses cPanel, WHM and Terra Panel. The last I think is a "home grown" panel that is used at some of the sister companies of WH. It is your front end to your account and from it you can review your billing information, submit tickets, add features to your account, request SSL certificates along with a couple other things. It is pretty slick although I would like to see some things added to it. From the feed back I got during testing they are going to be adding things to it.

Through that panel you can access either WHM (if you are a reseller) or cPanel. They have streamlined both quite a bit to make it a bit more intuitive which is nice.

We had always asked for more control over add on domains and email and cPanel does that. Cron has an interface also which is something that was requested. It has support for SPF built in both for adding the record and for server side checking of records of other domains. One neat thing is that cPanel has a "Getting Started Wizard" process that leads you through the basic set up things for a new account.

There is both Box Trapper and Email Authentication. From what I could tell they where kind of the same thing. It allows you to send a challenge email for emails sent to you asking folks to confirm their email address before their email is delivered. This can be set on a per email address basis. Don't think I would use it on all email accounts but might be nice for some.

One thing I liked was called Web Disk. It allows you to set up a shortcut on your desktop to your account that you can then drag and drop files once you have connected. I'll still use standard SFTP to do work on my accounts but I think for many beginners this is a nice feature.

You get interfaces to your logs for both viewing and setting up what you want logged.

Leech protect, hot linking protection and IP Deny are part of the security section.

There is both an advanced and simple DNS Zone editor.

Dureing beta testing they where using Installatron for adding programs like phpBB, Joomla ect but I think they are going to switch to another system for that. It was pretty nice though. It let you install the programs where you wanted to in your account instead of being forced to a default like with Site Manager.

We still have control over our databases and you can use the built in interface or phpMyAdmin.

There is an interface to Pear Packages and Perl Modules so you can control them via cPanel instead in SSH.

One thing I was disappointed in is the fact that not all accounts come with SSH access anymore.

I really was not able to test things as much as I would like since I am out or town right now.... that happened on the last beta testing also. I guess now I know how to make something happen... go out of town.
    Shawn

Can you install more than one instance of a package if you host multiple domains on one account? At the moment I do this manually, but it would be nice for some people to do this from a web interface.

Also what happens if you host multiple domains? Do you still get email addresses set up for every domain as with WH3 or is the new interface cleverer? For example, can you send john@domain1.com to mailbox john1, john@domain2.com to john2 and jerry@domain3.com to jerry? Is the default still for jerry@domain1.com, jerry@domain2.com and jerry@domain3.com to go to jerry's mailbox?

Really disappointed to have missed the opportunity to try it out.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign View Post
    One thing I was disappointed in is the fact that not all accounts come with SSH access anymore.
    They removed SSH from their basic package some time ago. WH have also simplified the plans they offer - they no longer offer 3 personal and 3 business plans. I guess that the $3.95 plan market has been taken over by Facebook.
    Richard

Yep when you are installing a program it gives you the choice of what domain you want to install it for and what directory you want to install it into. You also have the same thing when you are adding email addresses.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign View Post
    Yep when you are installing a program it gives you the choice of what domain you want to install it for and what directory you want to install it into. You also have the same thing when you are adding email addresses.
    Yes, that was very nice. I could really use that. It would save me a lot of time with the manual installs, so I was really happy to see that feature. Overall I really like the new interface. I didn't find any show stoppers during my testing. At least, nothing that I could think of.
    Lazy people care. They just don't do anything about it.