Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

With new cPanel accounts that use Scriptaculous, you can install as many WP instances as you like and where ever you like. The one install limit was on older Site Manager accounts. Those accounts are no longer being offered so you are fine.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Yeah, WordPress is the most popular way to design a web.

I've installed my own Wordpress, and would like to change the permalinks setting from the default to the month-and-name format.

Doing this results in getting a 404 when I test my permalinks.

I found directions for creating and installing a .htaccess file here, followed those, but am having no better results (an issue complicated by the fact that once I name a file .htaccess I can't see it via FTP or the File Manager), even after setting permissions to 664.

Any pointers on why this wouldn't be working properly or what more I might need to do?

You should have an option to view files that start with a "dot" in your FTP program. Look in settings or options for the program.

How did you create the .htaccess file? After uploading it did you get any server error messages? Did you upload it to the same directory where you installed Wordpress. Do you have anyother programs you have installed on the account that may use .htaccess that may be in the main web root? Is this the main domain for the account or an add on domain? If it is an addon domain, where did you install it?
    Shawn

Hello,
    I have a problem installing wordpress in a folder.
    On Cpanel, I added a addon domain "toto.com" with the directory path to "/public_html/toto/home"

Then I created the folders toto & home in the root of my ftp account.

When I try the url "toto.com", I have this error : Template Error: The template file must be given
    When I try to access the wp panel, with http://toto.com/wp-admin or http://toto.com/toto/home/wp-admin, I have this error :
    The requested URL /wp-admin/ was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

What should I do ?
    When I installed wp on the root of my ftp, it worked fine...
    But my goal is to install more than one site/blog. How ?

Is this a WestHost account? Do you own the toto.com domain? Are you sure that you have the correct nameservers set for toto.com if you own it and it is a WestHost account? I did a whois check on toto.com and it appears to be pointed to nameservers in Japan which would be wrong for a WestHost account.
    Shawn

Ok, nevermind. It my mistake. My ftp login was pointing in a directory, and not the public_html folder...
    Last edited by Shiranui; 06-03-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildjokerdesign View Post
    With new cPanel accounts that use Scriptaculous, you can install as many WP instances as you like and where ever you like. The one install limit was on older Site Manager accounts. Those accounts are no longer being offered so you are fine.
    Wow. It's really good to know I can get to have multiple WP installations now. Thank you for this info. Will try this one out.

Hello!
    I'm just new to the world of having a site and installing wordpress, so please forgive me for having so many questions. I spent several hours trying to figure this out, and I'm afraid I just have to paste the thread below with my questions in red. If anyone has knowledge of where these tutorials are or can answer them directly, it would be much appreciated!

The Site Manager (What is this, where can I find it? Is it the FTP client?) lets you easily install one copy of the WordPress publishing platform (blog), but multiple WordPress installations under one hosting account require you to download and install the WordPress software manually. Fear not, however, because the process is very simple and it can be performed entirely from the File Manager!

Note: You must have MySQL and PHP installed from the Site Manager > Install & Manage (I cannot find this, but I have done the MySQL setup wizard. Does this mean that I have MySQL and PHP installed?) section prior to following these directions. If you have another installation of WordPress on your account, you have MySQL and PHP already.
    1. Create a new directory
    If you haven't done so already, create a new folder for your new WordPress blog (Where should this folder be located? I'm not sure where to put it). You can create a directory using the File Manager, an FTP client, or SSH command line (which is best? What is the difference between the file manager and FTP client? I have Filezilla) In this case, I am planning to use WordPress for the home page of a new website, example.com. I have already created the folder /var/www/example.com and I have already added example.com to the Site Manager > Domains (how do you do this if you site is registered elsewhere?) section, setting the "Web Directory" to Custom and entering /var/www/example.com as the custom web directory path.

3. Create a new database
    Create a new MySQL database for the additional WordPress blog by executing the following command from the File Manager or an SSH command line, replacing databasenamehere with a name for the new database. Do not include characters other than letters, number, and the _ underscore (no spaces, no periods, etc.). There will be no output from the following command, so do not be alarmed if you see nothing returned when executing this command in File Manager.
    Code:
    mysqladmin create databasenamehere
    If you have phpMyAdmin installed on your account from Site Manager, you may also create the database using phpMyAdmin instead (Where can I find instructions for this?)
    Thanks!

Kat Mindenhall, LCSW
    www.apeacefullifecounseling.com

First let me ask you how long you have had this site with WestHost? The reason I ask is because new accounts with WestHost do not use Site Manager and this method. Instead the new accounts use cPanel and that is a whole different set of instructions.

On a cPanel account you don't have to install mySQL or PHP since it is already installed. You also do not have to install phpMyAdmin since it is already installed. In fact all you have to do to install WordPress is simply log into your account cPanel and then go to Software/Services > Softaculous. That is the easy install interface for things like WordPress and a multitude of other programs. Wordpress is going to be under Blogs.

You should have recieved an email from WestHost that explains how to get to cPanel and how to log into your account. It should have all your username password combinations in it. One thing that can be a bit confusing is that WestHost has what they call Control Panel and it is their own main interface located at cp.westhost.com this allows you to log in and control things like billing and such. From there you can get to cPanel by clicking on the Manage tap on the top left of the screen. Remember there is a diffrent username password combination for this main Control Panel then that wich is used for things like ftp, ssh and the cPanel. If you connect to cPanel from here though you don't need to enter your username password combination.

In regards to Filezilla and if it is any better then File Manager or SSH. I use an similar ftp client myself for most my work on my account and I don't use the File Manager that is built into cPanel. I just think it is easier and handier. Filezilla is a good program. SSH is used for a whole different thing and is accessed via something like Putty. I doubt you are going to need that unless you want to get your hands dirty with the command line. Command line is much like the old PC when we used Dos and had to type all our commands. Don't know if you remember that or not.

Hopefully that clears things up for you. If not or if for some reason you are actually on an older Site Manager account I'll supply more or alternate information.
    Shawn