Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Westhost 4.0

Thumbs down 4.0 Downgrade

Concerns I have:
    http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=13529

These are all major hits to my current level of service. It's now December and I just found this out (not about 4.0, about the change in service). Will there be a place for me at WH? I've built my own ruby and rails and git and subversion and ffmpeg and lots of other software. What will happen to my hosting? I was told my price on registratoin was guaranteed... I wasn't told my service wasn't. The worst parts:
    1) I don't know what's going to happen to my service
    2) I just recommended a friend to sign up because I told him about how I can use tomcat, and he's on 4.0 and can't. I feel really bad for wasting his time and money.

What is jailcell?

Q: Is my custom software going to work on your new platform? A: Generally speaking if it is a Perl or PHP application (or something of that nature) then yes it should work just fine. If it is custom software that must be *installed* on the server like Subversion or a special mail filtering software then the answer is no.

Q. What about C/C++ programs which might need compiling such as ht://Dig? Will gcc/g++ still be available? A. No, it will not. If you need to be able to do more advanced things such as compiling programs you will need to upgrade to a VPS.

Q. Does WestHost 4.0 have support for ssh?
    A. Yes it does in a jailshell environment.

benjo4u,

We understand your concerns. Unfortunately the VPS technology used by WestHost (WH 3.0) is at end of life. There are some differences between the two platforms. Here is a good reference: http://www.westhost.com/30to40comparison.html

You will notice that Ruby is not supported in the WestHost 4.0 environment. We are still working out the logistics for current clients on the WestHost 3.0 platform and how the migration will take place. We have encouraged clients who are in your situation to consider our sister company VPS.NET if WH 4.0 doesnít meet your needs.

Iím sorry to hear about your friend. Iím certain that if WH 4.0 isnít going to meet his needs that he can get a full refund if he just signed up. Iíll have another member of our team follow up on your other question regarding the ďjailshellĒ.

Please feel free to contact us directly if you have additional questions or concerns so we can better address them in a more timely manor.
    Sincerely,

Clint Reeves
    Client Service Manager
    WestHost

Believe in Better Hosting
    http://www.westhost.com/

Angry the big promise of VPS.net turned to be totally something else

Hey all

just wanted to share with you my personal experience with VPS .net

1. I sent a form to VPS.net through their site asking for a quote to match our existing WH plan.
    I asked some specific questions to learn if we can make the move and I also asked for the price.

It took almost 36 hours to get the following reply and I quote :
    "For your requirements, you'll looking at at least 3 nodes with cPanel, so minimum $50/mo. Before I answer your other questions I wanted to make sure that was understood."

That's all ! That's the reply I got.

2. I than replied as follows:
    "Yes, I understand your reply.
    3 nodes (30/750MB) are less than what we have now on West Host (100/2000GB) and I hope the resources (cpu/ram) are suitable to run our applications such as Magento.
    I'll be waiting to get your detailed reply to our questions as sent in our 1st contact form.
    As for the price, I do expect VPS.net will stand Mr. Ditlev promise to West Host customers.

and I got the following 1 line reply:
    "You can get one node for $10/mo - but it won't be enough to power Magento."

3. I didn't give up and sent the following:
    "Are 3 nodes enough to run Magento fast ?
    What about Mr. Ditlev promise to WH customers and I quote:
    "YES! we will honor all deals made pre-4.0. We will give you the same or better deal as you had before, and you will be getting all these new features on top for free"And can you please relate and reply to all issues I have asked in my contact form"

After 3 days I got the following reply:
    "Re-read the context of his post. I feel it's essential that we get past the issue that the only discount you will receive is $10/off your monthly price. I don't want you thinking otherwise as we go along.
    He was saying that we will honor all deals/features *within westhost* pre-4.0 to 4.0, VPS.NET our discount for WestHost clients is $10 off."

This email BTW was not even signed, they even save typing the name of the sales person.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, this is the real VPS.net that you don't want to have as your partner !
    this is the 'great fast service' that they give
    this is the 'great promise' Mr. Ditlev posted here more than once and that so many of you believed it will be backed-up by him

With this service, with this impolite replies that lets you feel you are not wanted and in pre sale stage, I can only imagine what will be after the sale.
    I'm sorry, I'm used to fast and very polite and professional replies I always got from WH.

Thank you VPS.net - not for me
    I'm going to stay @WH as long as possible and already started to look for another supplier.

I suggest WH to be more careful when they recommend to us to move to VPS.net you should at least check that the information you provide is true.

Avi
    Last edited by A999; 02-27-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A999 View Post
    Hey all

just wanted to share with you my personal experience with VPS .net

1. I sent a form to VPS.net through their site asking for a quote to match our existing WH plan.
    I asked some specific questions to learn if we can make the move and I also asked for the price.

It took almost 36 hours to get the following reply and I quote :
    "For your requirements, you'll looking at at least 3 nodes with cPanel, so minimum $50/mo. Before I answer your other questions I wanted to make sure that was understood."

That's all ! That's the reply I got.

2. I than replied as follows:
    "Yes, I understand your reply.
    3 nodes (30/750MB) are less than what we have now on West Host (100/2000GB) and I hope the resources (cpu/ram) are suitable to run our applications such as Magento.
    I'll be waiting to get your detailed reply to our questions as sent in our 1st contact form.
    As for the price, I do expect VPS.net will stand Mr. Ditlev promise to West Host customers.

and I got the following 1 line reply:
    "You can get one node for $10/mo - but it won't be enough to power Magento."

3. I didn't give up and sent the following:
    "Are 3 nodes enough to run Magento fast ?
    What about Mr. Ditlev promise to WH customers and I quote:
    "YES! we will honor all deals made pre-4.0. We will give you the same or better deal as you had before, and you will be getting all these new features on top for free"And can you please relate and reply to all issues I have asked in my contact form"

After 3 days I got the following reply:
    "Re-read the context of his post. I feel it's essential that we get past the issue that the only discount you will receive is $10/off your monthly price. I don't want you thinking otherwise as we go along.
    He was saying that we will honor all deals/features *within westhost* pre-4.0 to 4.0, VPS.NET our discount for WestHost clients is $10 off."

This email BTW was not even signed, they even save typing the name of the sales person.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, this is the real VPS.net that you don't want to have as your partner !
    this is the 'great fast service' that they give
    this is the 'great promise' Mr. Ditlev posted here more than once and that so many of you believed it will be backed-up by him

With this service, with this impolite replies that lets you feel you are not wanted and in pre sale stage, I can only imagine what will be after the sale.
    I'm sorry, I'm used to fast and very polite and professional replies I always got from WH.

Thank you VPS.net - not for me
    I'm going to stay @WH as long as possible and already started to look for another supplier.

I suggest WH to be more careful when they recommend to us to move to VPS.net you should at least check that the information you provide is true.

Avi
    Hello Avi,

Without having a chance yet to review any chat transcripts from whoever you chatted with, I must say that based on your quotes above that we can certainly do a MUCH better job communicating with our clients. VPS.NET has been around for 1 year now. While the brand is being managed by individuals within UK2Group (that includes people here at WestHost), it has been growing rapidly and we have been adding some additional resources to this team to help provide quicker and better support. The problem you've experienced will get attention, and I can promise you that it will improve.

In terms of the VPS.NET platform, the technology behind this is honestly a step up from what WestHost clients have been used to. The cloud environment is very exciting, and VPS.NET is quickly becomming a leader in this area for hosting. There are some additional costs associated with us running clients in a cloud, but at the same time, there are some added benefits to our clients. For more details, you can find out quite a bit from the Web site, www.vps.net.

With clients on our 3.0 environment, we have focused our attention more on helping them move to our 4.0 environment. It's an upgrade obviously from 3.0, and meets the needs of most of our WH clients. For those who want a little more, but maybe don't quite need a dedicated server, then VPS.NET is a great option.

Also, so you are aware, I've talked with Ditlev this morning about this particular post to clarify any statements he has made. We have not ever said or posted that we would match the price clients are currently paying on WestHost over to VPS.NET. We've tried to make it clear that there is a $10 off voucher for the first node. I'm very sorry there were some communication errors.

Hope this helps. I just want you to know that we appreciate the feedback, and will work to improve the service you receive on VPS.NET. Again, many of the people you have worked with over the years from WestHost are also now helping to build this new VPS.NET brand. We are VERY excited about this technology, and hope to build something great like we have with WestHost.
    Last edited by WestHost - BChambers; 02-27-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    Sincerely,

Brian Chambers
    General Manager
    WestHost

When you expect more from your Web host

FYI:

Westhost does NOT maintain DNS staff 24/7.

If your site is up and on 3.0 and your DNS is on Westhost, you Must stay out of service until someone comes to work 9am MST and they get around to you. Also be sure to complete a ticket using the 4.0 system (the 3.0 system does not work).

After six days of being out of service this is "When you expect more from your Web host "

Quote Originally Posted by efootprint View Post
    FYI:

Westhost does NOT maintain DNS staff 24/7.

If your site is up and on 3.0 and your DNS is on Westhost, you Must stay out of service until someone comes to work 9am MST and they get around to you. Also be sure to complete a ticket using the 4.0 system (the 3.0 system does not work).

After six days of being out of service this is "When you expect more from your Web host "
    efootprint,

I already responded to the same post you made in another thread. While I'm sure you are frustrated, and want to share your frustration with everyone you can, you can call or chat anytime of any day of the entire year, and you'll find people working/mai.ntaining our systems. You can call them right now, or chat, and they can get you squared away
    Sincerely,

Brian Chambers
    General Manager
    WestHost

When you expect more from your Web host

A999,

The offer to WestHost clients if they want to move to vps.net has always been $10.00 off. Where did you read or understand that it would be more?

Support at vps.net is very different then WestHost most definitely. They are as devoted to their clients I believe but it is a very different approach to things. Since their service is unmanage and you have root access, they deal with a different set of people then WestHost does. They tend to be very direct and to the point. Actually that is something some complained that WestHost was not. I actually got put off by them when their billing system kept triggering alerts in my cc card account and freezing it. When I contacted them they where very direct in say "Sorry that is how are system works. You can try our PayPal option of you want.". I have been spoiled by WestHost where they most likely would have replied with a message of seeing if they could look into the process and see if their was something that could be done. WestHost can be very individual focused in my experience, vps.net is a big picture company.

While it has some great abilities, I am not sure that the service is for the average web owner. You really need to know what you are doing over there. They have a pretty strong user base in their forum that can be very helpful but they expect you to have the basics down already. If something breaks on your account over there you are going to have to fix it yourself unless you have one of their service plans.

I think that vps.net is a good strong company and product that is well worth the monthly rates. Much like here at WestHost you get quite a bit for your dollar. You can't compare the services though they are apples and oranges. I most likely well go back over and use their service for some things but at this point having my main websites over there is more work then I want to invest. I'll continue to suggest the company to folks here depending on what they are looking for, but you do remind me that I perhaps need to prep them better for the differences.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Called waited an hour, NO Answer.

Angry did I missed something here ?

Hey Brian and Shawn and thank for your reply

I believe every client should at least receive a respectable and answers to his concerns.
    I'm sorry but the replies I got, how to say it gently.... I didn't like how it sounds, not to mention that I didn't get answers to my questions nor it was replied in a timely manner.

Brian, you are welcome to retrieve the full correspondence and see for yourself if this is the way a client should be treated, no matter its current plan.

As for the price, yes this is a very important issue for small businesses.
    Please look back in this thread , post #76 that Mr. Ditlev says in it :
    " YES! we will honor all deals made pre-4.0. We will give you the same or better deal as you had before, and you will be getting all these new features on top for free."

and just to remind you , it was a reply to kdr22 who wrote:
    "For instance, I have the Winter Holiday Special package that includes a dedicated IP, unlimited domains, 1,000 email accts, 50,000 MB disk storage, 1024000 MB bandwidth - all for $10 a month (paid annually) for life. Will this still be honored after the migration or not? "

So please explain to me the meaning of "same or better" for this example in reference to plan and cost.

I'm sorry, did I missed something ?
    how do I suppose to understand this other than keeping the same plan or even get a better one at same cost ?

Avi

The confusion is because of the introduction of vps.net into this thread I think. The original discussion was about WH 4.0 and migration from 3.0 accounts. In that case WestHost does plan to honor any existing plans if you want to migrate. That does not include moving to the sister company of vps.net.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson