Default Perl modules and CPAN in MT4 installation

During the installation of Movable Type 4 I found missing perl modules and I'd like to install them on my VPS.
    I looked for in the WH support forum and found Jalal how to guide with CPAN.

I followed all the steps in the guide, including the final test
    Code:
    cpan> install Bundle::CPAN
    Returning to the promt I started again CPAN, but it is still missing some parameters. It asks me
    Code:
    Parameters for the 'perl Build.PL' command?
    and I don't know how to answer. Have you any idea?

I didn't upgrade the Perl version to 5.8.8 from WH control panel, my VPS is still running Perl 5.8.7.
    I want to do this upgrade but I don't know after the above described installation of CPAN if I can do it via the WH control panel. Can you tell me if it is a safe upgrade? Does it cause a misconfiguration?

Thank you for your time.

That's an old post from 2004. Version of Perl back then and the included modules where pretty slim. I would suggest going ahead and upgrading perl via site manager and then see if you then have the modules you need. If not then go ahead and run cpan and try and install them. The upgrade well most likely overwrite any changes you made. You may actually have to uninstall the old version then install the new one but try and upgrade first if the Site Manager offers it.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Do I have to remove CPAN installation I did following the old post in the forum? Can I start Perl updating from WH control panel without any care to backup?

Sorry I was not reading your post close enough the first time.

Did you create the /perl5lib directory? If so did you enter...
    Code:
    PREFIX=/perl5lib LIB=/perl5lib/lib INSTALLMAN1DIR=/perl5lib/man1 INSTALLMAN3DIR=/perl5lib/man3
    ...when it asked for "Parameters for 'perl Makefile.PL' command?"? Did you install GCC/GNU Complier via Site Manager.

When you upgrade you don't have anything you need to back up that I am aware of.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson