Default Site Promotion help

I have found pay-per-click ads are costly but worthless.
    Google search has moved my PageRank around, from good to zero.
    Robot URL submissions tend to include many junk sites.
    Can anyone recommend approaches that actually work?
    This site is http://oldcolorprint.com, so distributing articles would not work, though did help on my http://easyhealthdiet.com.

So are these your sites that you are trying to raise the rank on?

I don't mean to insult but your post almost seems reads like spam with the insertion of the links. I guess that is why I am asking the question to determine if this is a bot or not.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

I would recommend focusing on creating some high quality parts of your site that others would find interesting. Also, look for ways to get people participating in your site is some way. The more you can get people interested in your site, the more they will tell their friends and link to you.

Also, focus more on quality traffic and less on pagerank. I have some big sites with low pagerank that do very well.

The only submissions I do are to directories. I spend about 10 minutes each day submitting to directories and I have found it helps a lot with getting ranked for key phrases, and a little with pagerank too.

Good luck!
    PHP Link Directory - most widely used directory script on the net
    phpLD Support - phpLD Templates - phpLD Articles

NOT spam.
    The two stores I'd like to be more successful are
    http://easyhealthdiet.com and http://oldcolorprint.com.

I have previously submitted to directories, some for fee, some for link exchange, and did include google.
    I think it helped EHD.

Unfortunately, I think that most other directories I found were crap, self promoting, and pushing how to get rich selling crappy advice on how to get rich.
    (DMOZ never included me.) If a service does not have a higher rank than my sites, I don't bother.

I would greatly appreciate tips on how to find directories worth courting, and how best to woo them.

I have always believed that SEO work should be multi-faceted, and focusing on one area is very limiting. Directories are one way to improve both pagerank and anchor text. Every little bit helps over time. Here is what Matt Cutts, an employee of google had to say about directories:

Here's what I've said about directories recently:

"Q: Hey, as long as we're talking about directories, can you talk about the role of directories, some of whom charge for a reviewer to evaluate them?
    A: I'll try to give a few rules of thumb to think about when looking at a directory. When considering submitting to a directory, I'd ask questions like:
    - Does the directory reject urls? If every url passes a review, the directory gets closer to just a list of links or a free-for-all link site.
    - What is the quality of urls in the directory? Suppose a site rejects 25% of submissions, but the urls that are accepted/listed are still quite low-quality or spammy. That doesn't speak well to the quality of
    the directory.
    - If there is a fee, what's the purpose of the fee? For a high-quality directory, the fee is primarily for the time/effort for someone to do a genuine evaluation of a url or site.
    _
    Those are a few factors I'd consider. If you put on your user hat and ask "Does this seem like a high-quality directory to me?" you can usually get a pretty good sense as well, or ask a few friends for their take on a particular directory."
    PHP Link Directory - most widely used directory script on the net
    phpLD Support - phpLD Templates - phpLD Articles

I had a lot to learn from you guys as I am a new member on this forum. Good job!