Default How to put Joomla in other than joomla directory?

I am pretty new with Joomla, but have managed to build three or four websites in different directories. Each have a URL that includes /joomla/index.php and that is visible in the web browser address bar.

I've searched the forums and seen one or two other people that want to move their joomla files, but I'm new enough to not fully understand what needs to be done... help please...

I have redirects from the site's main directories to the /Joomla/index.php file, but when that opens, the whole domain and /joomla/index.php is visible.

What can I do to make the url in the address bar not include the /joomla/ directory? I'd like the site visitors to see http://sitename.com/index.php
    and not http://site.name.com/joomla/index.php

Can I move all the joomla files from the /joomla/ folder to the folder 'one up' on the directory tree?

If so, what other changes will be required to make the whole thing work after the files are moved?

Thanks!

Whatnots

Yes, move everything (retaining the subdirectory formats as they exist under your joomla folder) to your root and change the following lines in configuration.php (as necessary):
    Code:
    $mosConfig_absolute_path =
    $mosConfig_cachepath =
    $mosConfig_live_site =
    That's all there is to it!
    Richard

I have jotted down some of my meddlings at http://www.rollingr.net/wordpress
    Click here for a full list of formatting codes for this forum

Default Which config.php

Thank you for the reply. I'm pretty new with the .php stuff. There are two .php files in the main directory. one that is configuration.php and another that is something like configuration-dist.php I opened both in notepad and the found config statements similar to the ones mentioned, but they are in an area that appears to be refering to 'multisites'. Am I looking in the right directory, or location?

i have moved them and its pretty simple

what i did was download all of the files in the Joomla folder, then re uploaded them into the root

then just go in to the config php file and change 3 lines from yoursite.com/joomla/ to yoursite.com

what i do now is not install joomla from the CP, i to it ftp then i can upload the files right to the root

let me know if you still need help

dont do anything with the configuration-dist

lisa

Default change directories... of joomla files

The config.php file didn't seem to have the three lines that has been mentioned. It has config lines referring to 'multi-sites' I don't think that is the right file. Where is the file usually located? In the root directory, or in joomla directory?

I just set up a new subdomain directory, opened the joomla full install .zip file on my desktop and used filezilla to move all the joomla files to the new subdomain's main folder, then opened the new site and configured joomla. the browser does not show a joomla directory for this subdomain site.

Looking at my other subdomain sites, it seems that the only one I need to change is the main site, which is actually in the joomla directory that west host's back end modules created when I set up the main site about a year ago.

The westhost chat session person mentioned a mod.php file that could be changed in the root directory so the /joomla/ doesn't display in the browser or URL, but the files would remain in their current location.

Seems like moving the files would be the easiest for me, if I could find the right config file to modify afterwards.

When I find that file, a previous reply indicated which lines to change.
    Do I just put the new URL to the files in the three lines and save & replace the existing config file? or what would be the routing changes applied to those three lines of code?

the config file is created after install, so you would need to change it after install.

see attatched for the file information

in the future, if you ftp to the root, you dont have to move the files. thats why i dont use the joomla install from the CP.

then open dreamweaver or note pad, and on line 6,10,44 you will see the string 'var/www/html/site/joomla

just take out the "joomla"
    Lisa

Default Moved the files

Thank you for the help. I was able to move the files and reword the configuration.php file as suggested here. Now the URL does not include the word joomla. Thank you for the help!!!