Default Anyone else getting mailbombed to death?

In the last 12 hours I received over a 1000 emails, and in the last few minutes, I got like 150. 10 to 20 emails per minute (with the same date/time stamp)

Most are like:
    Message blocked...
    Undeliverable mail returned...
    failure notice...

What the hell is going on

EDIT:
    It seems to be quieting down now, lets hope it does
    Here are my black list settings:
    sbl.spamhaus.org
    xbl.spamhaus.org
    bl.spamcop.net
    Others: dnsbl.njabl.org zen.spamhaus.org new.spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net

I'll see how it goes in the next hour, if it acts up again, I'm gonna enable dnsbl.sorbs.net as well.

But lets hope the flood is over /sigh
    Last edited by GamePlayHeaven; 08-08-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GamePlayHeaven
    In the last 12 hours I received over a 1000 emails, and in the last few minutes, I got like 150. 10 to 20 emails per minute (with the same date/time stamp)

Most are like:
    Message blocked...
    Undeliverable mail returned...
    failure notice...

What the hell is going on
    That happened on one of my Westhost accounts once. I think what happened is that a spammer used my email as the return address for their emails (they spoof the mail headers, of course). Any emails that were blocked or undeliverable bounced back to me. It happened once and didn't happen again.

I'm seeing what I think is the same behavior as you. My complete experience is described at: spam-bounced denial of service

Alas, my domain has been getting bombed for nearly two weeks now. The influx of bounced spam with forged From addresses on my domain has almost completely crippled sendmail, in the sense that I can't get any legitimate mail in or out because sendmail is occupied with the bounced spam.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything Westhost can do about it. We've tweaked sendmail.cf, added an SPF record, enabled black lists, etc.

-ajw

I am new here, but does WH support SRA? It is a form of signed backscatter protection. I do not have a link and am leaving town. If you don't find something I will try to find it when I get back.

I use the optional add-in apps for spam rejection and blacklisting...

BUT...

The best defense against email address thieves is to use a graphic for posting email address, rather than text. This will limit contacts to humans rather than robots. A little inconvenient for those who want to send you mail, but cuts spam to almost zero.

My experience is the different. I've had a couple of emails displayed on a website as traps for a while now and they get almost no spam. And I haven't seen a mail harvester in the logs for a looong time. Just because the image emails don't get any spam doesn't mean that it is effective, maybe they wouldn't have got any spam anyway?

Nearly all the spam lists are now populated by Windows computers getting a Trojan or virus and having their Outlook address book sent off to Russia or China. So if you email address is in someones Outlook Express program, then you will be on a spam list.

This link might provide some succor to those of you who are being mail bombed.
    Richard

I have jotted down some of my meddlings at http://www.rollingr.net/wordpress
    Click here for a full list of formatting codes for this forum