Thread: Adding Users

Default Adding Users

Does anyone know of a way to either have the control panel stop modifying the /etc/virtusertable when adding users or how to add users in ssh?

Right now, everytime I add a user, it puts in an entry for that new username for every domain that I have which messes up current email addresses.

I don't believe that you can.

The simplest way to do this is to keep a backup copy of virtusertable elsewhere, let the Site Manager do its stuff and then manually insert your changes into the backup copy before overwriting the copy on the server.

virtusertable also gets modified if you add another domain to your VPS; every user gets added to your new domain which is a pain. This also happens in WH3, although I put a change request in for this behaviour to be modified.
    Richard

I have jotted down some of my meddlings at http://www.rollingr.net/wordpress
    Click here for a full list of formatting codes for this forum

That's what I've been doing now and you're right, it's a big pain to deal with.

I'm using version 3 on my site and can't seem to get around this other than ssh'ing in to my account, making a copy of virtusertable, make my changes in the Site Manager, then restoring my virtusertable, make my changes there and run makemap.

Quote Originally Posted by rolling
    I don't believe that you can.

The simplest way to do this is to keep a backup copy of virtusertable elsewhere, let the Site Manager do its stuff and then manually insert your changes into the backup copy before overwriting the copy on the server.

virtusertable also gets modified if you add another domain to your VPS; every user gets added to your new domain which is a pain. This also happens in WH3, although I put a change request in for this behaviour to be modified.

I think that you don't need to run makemap as sendmail restarts when needed and rebuilds all the tables as part of its initialisation.

Try it and see
    Richard

Not sure, but running makemap just assures me that it's done, so I just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rolling
    I think that you don't need to run makemap as sendmail restarts when needed and rebuilds all the tables as part of its initialisation.

Try it and see

Thumbs down hmm how dissapointing..

I though with all the issues people were having with the email addresses and hosting multiple domains that WH3 would have fixed this..!!
    It really isnt that hard to make a small modification to the email/alias section to have it only create ONE email/alias in virtusertable for the selected domain instead of all the domains in your site manager...

so much for user feedback i guess.

Yes, it would be nice if they let you select the domains for each addressee from the Site Manager. However, it would be quite complicated for them to cater for as the virtusertable is modified if you add/remove domain, email or alias . The standard excuse I get is "Oh we don't have control of that bit - that's Sphera". The Site Manager is just the GUI to Sphera.
    Richard

I supposed if you were adventurous enough and willing to learn the format of each file, you could manually add users by editing the following files:

/etc/features
    /etc/passwd
    /etc/shadow
    /etc/mail/virtusertable

Those should be the only files the mail server checks for user information. Adding users this way would probably take just as much, if not more, work as what you guys have already mentioned, but it should work in theory.