PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for reseller's server manager

dansroka
02-07-2007, 08:07 AM
The reseller's Server Manager is a nice tool, but it needs to make it easier to update service package applications:

Whenever we get an email from Westhost announcing new upgrades to software, I always want to go and make though available to my clients. Unfortunately, this is not simple to do. Right now you need to edit the service package, then page through the long list of apps and versions, and scan to see if you recognize what is new.

The app list in the service package editor needs to do a few things:

(a) have a category for "Recent Apps/Updgrades"

(b) the Service Package Details page, which lists the apps you made available, should tell you which of these apps has an upgrade available.

(c) have app categories that are more meaningful (right now, nearly everything is listed under "Collaborative", whatever that means)

(d) fix the sorting problem: right now if you try to sort the apps by application name, they appear out of order ("SpamAssassin" appears above "Auto Responder"

Thanks for listening,
Dan

wildjokerdesign
02-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Dan,
Those are some good suggestions. I was just in useing my Service Manager and you are correct it can be a bit clunky to get around. :) It is much better since the recent upgrade but I can see that improvements can still be made. One thing that I do when looking at the Apps is change the Display amount to 100. This at least shows me all the Apps available on one page which makes it a bit easier for me. Not sure if you realized you could do that.

I would like to see WestHost modify the Help section for Server Manager so that it pertians a bit more to our enviroment. For example I just noticed that now under Service Packages > Resource Set there are now two options of ResellerServers and ResellerServers(JSP). The Help page only says "Resource Set: Server group of resource set where accounts of this service package shall be stored.". It would be nice to know what the differences are between these two Resource Sets. ;)

dansroka
02-13-2007, 08:37 AM
One thing that I do when looking at the Apps is change the Display amount to 100. This at least shows me all the Apps available on one page which makes it a bit easier for me. Not sure if you realized you could do that.

Thanks, I do that now. Problem is. since not all the apps sort alphabetically, it is still tough to scan. ARGH! There just has to be a better way for this UI to work.

wildjokerdesign
02-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Hopefully with the move to WH 3.0 things well get easier. I did just notice that with the Site Manager that WestHost has moved to a Certificate that can actually be authenticated so that I.E. browser well quite complaining. :) Change may be slow but it happens.

rolling
02-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I did just notice that with the Site Manager that WestHost has moved to a Certificate that can actually be authenticated so that I.E. browser well quite complaining. :) Change may be slow but it happens.

WOW! ;) They now reference your server by name rather than IP Address, for example wdclnx86.west-datacenter.net instead of [69.36.161.186] and have purchased an Equifax certificate. Now it's easy to identify which server you are on!

wildjokerdesign
02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
I am now having a problem with my test account and I am unable to access my Site Manager for the site via domain.com/manager/. I have to add the index.htm to the link to get to it. No big deal and it is possible that this change has nothing to do with it since my test site has quite a few "manual" tweaks added to it. I did send in a Support ticket on it so they can have a look. If anyone else sees the same I would suggest letting WH know about it. I also just recently added Tomcat to this account so perhaps it was that. :) Like I say not biggie but I am sure WH would want to know so they can look into it just in case it affects other things.

rolling
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
The only problem that I had was that I had to add west-datacenter.net to the list of sites allowed to execute java