PDA

View Full Version : Best Multi Domain setup ???

Terminator-871
01-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I have multiple domains and just started using WH.

I am wondering what the best way to set them up is.
I have read the FAQs and the info on the Forums.

Here is what I am thinking please tell me if I am missing something before I Setup and transfer all my domains.

Domain 1 (Account setup) = /var/www/html (default)
Should I change to
Domain1= /var/www/domain1 (where domain1 is url name only)

Domain 2 = /var/www/domain2
Domain 3 = /var/www/domain3

OR Should it be setup

Domain 1 = /var/www/html
Domain 2 = /var/www/html/domain2
Domain 3 = /var/www/html/domain3

Opinions please?

Thanks,

jalal
01-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I think your main domain will have to point to /var/www/html in order for the site manager to function.
But the other domains can point where you want them to.

Terminator-871
01-13-2007, 02:30 PM
What about cgi-bins, scripts, etc.

Would I need to install all that on every new DIR ?

rolling
01-13-2007, 03:41 PM
You can set them up however you like, but it confuses the site manager.

For example, I have set up secure.domain1.com to point to /var/www/dom1/secure by manually editing /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and now my main site shows up as being located in /var/www/dom1/secure instead of /var/www/dom1/html. This is confusing, but Apache works fine and serves files from the correct location.

If you set up domain2 and domain3 as you indicated, then you will be able to access domain2 by going to www.domain2.com OR www.domain1.com/domain2, so I recommend that you set things up thus:

domain1: /var/www/html
domain2: /var/www/dom2
domain3: /var/www/dom3

If you create a symbolic link to /var/www/cgi-bin in each directory, then your scripts will continue to run. You might want to have separate directories, but that is up to you.

Please note that you can only have one SSL site per account, so even though you can host domain1, domain2 and domain3, you cannot install three certificates and access https://domain1.com as well as https://domain2.com and https://domain3.com. This is a restriction of Apache (as it requires on IP address per secure server) and not of Westhost.

If you want to setup domain1 to point to /var/www/dom1 it will work, but things get complicated. For example, you will not be able to access your site manager by going to http:domain1.com/manager; you will have to go straight to the IP address of your server.

Terminator-871
01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I need to setup and test my new websites before they are "live".
I will wait to change the DNS info until the new sites are stable and working.

Therefore:

How do I access my new multi-domain websites on WH???

For Domain1 the temp sites are created but what about the additional multi-domains? I assume temp sites are not created???

If I setup /var/www/html/domain2 then I could access it via http://temp domain1.com/domain2

But if I set it up as /var/www/domain2 how to I access the site to test it?

rolling
01-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Not sure on that one. Try defining a domain as domain2.whsites.net through your site manager

Terminator-871
01-13-2007, 04:03 PM
domain1: /var/www/html
domain2: /var/www/dom2
domain3: /var/www/dom3

If you create a symbolic link to /var/www/cgi-bin in each directory, then your scripts will continue to run. You might want to have separate directories, but that is up to you.

Thanks Richard,

If I setup this way will the site manager work correctly with no problems?

I also need a seperate mysql/php and Joomla install for each site but the site manager does not give options on the address of where to install each of those things. Joomla defaults to /var/www/html/joomla for example, which is useless for joomla its needs to be installed at /var/www/html to work properly.

Will I need to manually install all that stuff?? Joomla is easy but how do I install multiple databases and php ?

rolling
01-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Yes. As long as you have your main domain hosted at /var/www/html you will be able to install applications and use your site manager as normal.

If you want separate Joomla installations then you will have to do this manually although there is an add-n that you can install which allows you to run multiple sites from a single installation with independent databases. I posted elsewhere on this topic before.

Not sure why you want separate installations of php and SQL

rolling
01-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Here is the ink to Joomla extension (http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,listcats/cat_id,1790/Itemid,35/)

As for moving Joomla, either put a redirect in your index.html file or copy all the files from /var/www/html/joomla to /var/www/html and edit the configuration file to point to the new location.

Terminator-871
01-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Not sure why you want separate installations of php and SQL

Speed plain and simple. The whole reason I am testing WH is for speed in Joomla/PHP/SQL to see if they overload thier VPS's or not.

I have 3 sites that will be running Joomla and if all 3 are making requests to the same database I am guessing it would slow things down a bit VS. having 3 seperate databases. ???

Correct me if I am wrong before I start installing next week... :)

Terminator-871
01-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Here is the ink to Joomla extension (http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,listcats/cat_id,1790/Itemid,35/)

As for moving Joomla, either put a redirect in your index.html file or copy all the files from /var/www/html/joomla to /var/www/html and edit the configuration file to point to the new location.

Yes I have already evaluated the Multisite pro and will probably buy it.

TNX

wildjokerdesign
01-14-2007, 06:50 AM
You can create as many databases as you need. Simply install phpMyAdmin via Site Manager and then create your databases useing it.

Terminator-871
01-15-2007, 10:25 AM
You can create as many databases as you need. Simply install phpMyAdmin via Site Manager and then create your databases useing it.

Understood.
What I am wondering is if there is any speed advantage to seperate databases or not.. ???

wildjokerdesign
01-16-2007, 07:12 AM
I don't know that there really is when it comes to Joomla although if it has a database optimization feature I could see an issue when it runs that. It could possibly take longer to load the database in phpMyAdmin if you are working direct with the database.

I maintain seperate databases for organization and security. If I have two different programs that use databases it is easier for me to work with them if they are seperate. I can also create users for each so if by chance one database user pass combo is compromised it does not affect the other. I never use the default root user to connect to the database via php programs like Joomla

REC-WH
01-30-2008, 04:44 PM
I have multiple domains and just started using WH.

I am wondering what the best way to set them up is.
I have read the FAQs and the info on the Forums.

Here is what I am thinking please tell me if I am missing something before I Setup and transfer all my domains.

Domain 1 (Account setup) = /var/www/html (default)
Should I change to
Domain1= /var/www/domain1 (where domain1 is url name only)

Domain 2 = /var/www/domain2
Domain 3 = /var/www/domain3

OR Should it be setup

Domain 1 = /var/www/html
Domain 2 = /var/www/html/domain2
Domain 3 = /var/www/html/domain3

Opinions please?

Thanks,

I have several domains using Joomla 1.5 set up in the /var/www and they work OK.
I have found this is the best way to managed other domains. You can the change the folder name if you want to try another version of a program. I have both Joomla 1 and 1.5 setup for use on one domain. I just ftp and change the domain folder name when I want to change versions.

My problem is that I want to install Joomla in the html (/var/www/ html) folder of my main domain. I can't install it in the html folder because of the other files required by Westhost. (plug-in etc.)

I could change the apache configuration to point to another folder or create another html and rename the old html folder. I prefer not to use htaccess to direct to another folder.

Does anyone know if I rename the existing html folder what problems, if any , it will cause.
I wish the files required by Westhost could be renamed so a root installation of Joomla could be done.

Thanks, Charlie

wildjokerdesign
01-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Renaming the current html directory would not be the best solution to things. It would mean a lot of work to get your site manager and other WH supplied defaults to work right.

Would Wordpress work for you instead of Joomla? You can install it manually in the /var/www/html directory. I know that they are different beast but WP can be maniplulated to be more of a CMS then a Blogging program is you want to use it that way.

rolling
02-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Does anyone know if I rename the existing html folder what problems, if any , it will cause.
I wish the files required by Westhost could be renamed so a root installation of Joomla could be done.

Thanks, Charlie
Rather than renaming the html folder, I would point my domain to /var/www/dom1 which would leave you free to create pointers to /var/www/html and would ensure that Westhost do not overwrite any of your files in a future upgrade.

I have done this and then created symbolic links to
/var/www/html/users/index.htm (user login)
/var/www/common
/var/www/cgi-bin

You would also need links for
/var/www/html/fm/ for the File Manager
/var/www/html/manager for the Site Manager
but that these should be in your SSL area for security.