PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on level of technical expertise needed for managing sites/email on VPS

hyltond
12-22-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm attracted to switching to a VPS host because of email blacklisting issues with my current (shared) host. BUT - I'm not web-savvy particularly - I create and maintain my 2 web sites (real estate, though I'm a retired physicist who started using computers in 1958 :-) ) using FrontPage 2003, and have no time to be a server administrator. Could some kind person(s) please tell me if it's possible to do everything I need to do on WestHost's VPS (maintain sites, use POP email accounts, use FrontPage's inquiry-type forms for gathering information from potential clients, etc. etc.) without having to become fpretty amiliar with systems admin? I'm used to having a friendly systems administrator who could help me sort out problems - then our MLS stopped its hosting services...

All help and advice appreciated...

TIA

Dan E

jalal
12-22-2006, 03:02 PM
You can sign up to a Westhost hosting package, upload your files, setup one or two email accounts and be up and running with less than an hours work and no special skills (beyond common sense).
You may have a problem with FrontPage, I'm not sure (I avoid it like the plague), and may want to consider spending a little time in creating HTML pages from scratch or with an HTML authouring package like Dreamweaver. Maybe a FrontPage user will come by here and advise you.
And, if you want to run special software, or multiple sites on one package, or something out of the general run of things, you'll need to learn up a bit.
And, in general, I would budget a little bit of your time (maybe a rainy weekend or something) to learn the basics on how some of this stuff works (web servers, mail servers, DNS etc) just so that you have a little background in what you're doing.

But other than that, Westhost sites are "set up and go".

And there are lots of nice people on the forums who are happy to help you out should you get a little stuck... :)

hyltond
12-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Many thanks, Jalal - Chat also has been very helpful.

Dan E

WestHost - BErickson
12-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Dan,

I'm hoping our sales or support representatives were able to provide you with all the information you needed over chat (as your last post suggests). Let me add to Jalal and state that FrontPage works fine on our servers and a lot of our clients use it to build their sites. I would also recommend getting a "dedicated IP" with your WestHost hosting account. Some of our plans include one. For those that don't, you can add it for a $1/mo. This will help avoid blacklisting issues in the future.

Feel free to contact us (http://www.westhost.com/contactus.html) if you need help ordering. Thanks for considering WestHost!

hyltond
12-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Bevan - I appreciate your input. I've signed up and jjst waiting for login information.

Thanks again.

Dan E