PDA

View Full Version : Some very newbie questions

naxos
12-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Hi all
I have no experiences in domains, just starteing learning :)
My domain is www.naxosdev.com

Question #1: In the 'Domain Management' tab of my Control Panel I found 'naxosdev.com.whsites.net' and 'naxosdev.com.yourtempsite.com'. What they are? Can be safely deleted?

Question #2: I have no domains other than 'naxosdev.com'. The 'Domain Management' tab of my Control Panel have a button called 'New'. I pressed this button and I entered a dummy name ('dummysite.net'), and then I found 'dummysite.net' listed as new domain. What exactly happened? Where and what is 'dummysite.net'? Is it usable?

Question #3: I created a folder under my 'naxosdev.com' root (myalias) and I assigned that folder to a 'Web Alias'. What's about email? How can I set myuser@myalias.naxosdev.com?

Thank you for your replies! ;)

wildjokerdesign
12-16-2006, 08:27 AM
1) Those both give you temp access to your site while your domain is propagateing. It is safe to remove them if you want to although not necessary.

2) No it is not usable. It would need to be a real domain that you registered and is set to the westhost name servers.

3) I am not sure what you are asking with this question. Could you expand on it some? An Alias is normally used how you see it here at the WH forums. Notice that there is the word forums be for the westhost domain. It is a way you can define to you users a certain part of your site. User or email accounts are set just to the main domain and not normally to an alias.

naxos
12-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Hello,
thank you for replying :)

3)Could you expand on it some? An Alias is normally used how you see it here at the WH forums. Notice that there is the word forums be for the westhost domain.
Yes, exactly like WH forum. Is this called 'subdomain', true?
In this case, I expect an email address like 'something@forums.westhost.com'. Furthermore: I've seen that emails from WH comes from ...*contacts.westhost.com.
Assume my 'subdomain' is 'subdomain.naxosdev.com', I need an email address like 'something@subdomain.naxosdev.com'. How I can get this?

Thank you...

wildjokerdesign
12-16-2006, 10:19 AM
I have never done that before but you should be able to do it. Check this part of the WH Manual To Create a New DNS Record (http://members.westhost.com/domain-manage.html). The documentation is a bit confusing to me but I think you want Alias Domain example under that section. From the way I understand Sub Domain in that section you would use it a Sub Domain to point to an email account that is not your main domain account. The confusion for me is that the phrase Sub Domain is also used up under Domains/Subdomains section and in that area you can add 'subdomain.naxosdev.com' in order to point the subdomain to a specific directory (like where the forum is located on the server) but that alone I don't believe lets you send mail to a user at the sub domain you create there. I do hope I have not confused you more with my confusion. :)

naxos
12-17-2006, 12:21 AM
I do hope I have not confused you more with my confusion. :)
Yes. I must confess I'm a little bit more confused than before ;)
However, your informations was very useful in some points.
I believe that my concept of SubDomain was wrong.
Since I'm at the first steps in SubDomans, I've to further investigate this item.
Thank you for your help :)

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2006, 08:58 AM
I was afraid of that. :) Reading through the WH manual information a couple times does help a bit but I still have to go back and review it each time. Hopefully one of the other members here well come along and be able to explain it in better terms or perhaps a representative of WH can clear it up.

rolling
12-17-2006, 07:56 PM
If you want the mail server on your domain to handle this email, all you need to do is define a CNAME for your alias - Click on Domain Management, DNS Records, New DNS Record, Alias Domain. Set the destination to /var/www/html/alias and the local destination to @. When the sender's email server tries to connect to alias.mydomain.com:25 it will wake up the Sendmail server at mydomain.com:25

However, if you read other threads in this forum, you will find that email is handled in a fixed way by Westhost. All mail to user@domain1.com, user@domain2.com, user@alias.domain1.com will be delivered to user's mailbox at /var/spool/mail/user. If you want to change this, then you have to edit virtusertable.

If you want an external mail server to handle the mail, then you will need to add a Mail Exchanger (MX) record to your DNS.

naxos
12-18-2006, 01:03 AM
If you want the mail server on your domain to handle this email [...]
Thank you. This is a very 'hard' post for me to fully undestand! However, I'll try to follow your guidelines.
Thanks to all for replying me ;)

rolling
12-18-2006, 04:06 AM
Sorry if my post was hard to understand. There are typically two reasons why you would want a subdomain. To point to a different directory outside your standard web tree of /var/www/html To point to a different server in order to spread the load for a busy site

As I understand it, you create an alias in the first case and either an A (Address) or MX (Mail Exchange) record in the second case, depending on your needs. Some people choose to host their email server with another provider and so would have to redefine their MX record.

Once you have created your subdomain, you then need to decide how to handle the email. Each email recipient is treated as an individual Linux user by Westhost, so you can only have one user with a given name. For this reason email to user@domain1.com, user@domain2.com and user@alias.domain1.com are all delivered to the mailbox for user by default.

If you wanted to change this, then you could have the email for user@domain1.com delivered to user "user.domain1", user@domain2.com to user "user.domain2" and user@alias.domain1.com to user "alias", but you would first have to create the three users from your Site Manager (via EMail/FTP Management, New EMail/FTP) and then edit /etc/mail/virtuser table to modify the entries for user@domain1.com, user@domain2.com and user@alias.domain1.com to be delivered to the appropriate mailboxes.

Hope that makes things clearer.

naxos
12-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Hello Richard

Sorry if my post was hard to understand.
Don't worry. You don't have to excuse. Your post is clear to read and understand. It's simply the matter hard to understand for me. As I said on top of this thread, these are my first steps in domains management.

However, what I need is very simple to explain: my main domain is naxosdev.com.

Now, I need to set up a "support" subdomain ('http://support.naxosdev.com') and some 'support' emails for the support dept peoples (person1@support.naxosdev.com, person2@support.naxosdev.com, person2@support.naxosdev.com, etc.).

Maybe this is very easy for an expert people, not for me... ;)

Thank you!

wildjokerdesign
12-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Ok let me see if I can give you a working example. :) Let's use your current support page(s) as an example:
http://www.naxosdev.com/web/corporate/about-naxos/technical-support.html

If you wanted that page to show up when folks accessed support.naxosdev.com then you would copy that file to a directory by itself (along with any other files it needed) to /var/www/html/support. Then rename it to index.html.

Now log into your SiteManager and use Richard' recommendation: (I changed alias to support below)

If you want the mail server on your domain to handle this email, all you need to do is define a CNAME for your alias - Click on Domain Management, DNS Records, New DNS Record, Alias Domain. Set the destination to /var/www/html/support and the local destination to @.

It can take a few hours for this to take affect but then you should be able to point your browser to support.naxosdev.com you should see your support pages. If you send an email to joe @ support.naxosdev.com it should arrive in the joe mailbox if you have created a joe user.

naxos
12-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Hello :)

Ok let me see if I can give you a working example. :) Let's use your current support page(s) as an example:
http://www.naxosdev.com/web/corporate/about-naxos/technical-support.html

Currently our website has support pages 'embedded' into main website (as you checked!).
We simply need to create a new site for support only. Exactly like WH has. We need a complete isolation from 'Support' pages and others. We will set up a forum, manuals, samples, forms, tickets, etc.
Folks that click on 'Support' on main website will be redirected to a Subdomain.

Informations I had from Richard and from you were very valuable for me ;) .

Thank you very much!

corvus
12-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Hello :)

Currently our website has support pages 'embedded' into main website (as you checked!).
We simply need to create a new site for support only. Exactly like WH has. We need a complete isolation from 'Support' pages and others. We will set up a forum, manuals, samples, forms, tickets, etc.
Folks that click on 'Support' on main website will be redirected to a Subdomain.

Naxos

(Disclaimer, I'm a new subscriber and have only been here about two weeks so this is my impressions based on playing with the site manager and may not be the best way).

Here's what I think your looking for:

Prior to anything else, you need to create the directory for the new contents. You can do this via ssh, ftp, or probably even through the file manager. You can put it in a number of different places but I'd recommend you be consistent with where you put them. I use /websites/domainname for mine, but you can use /var/www/support.naxosdev.com and be fine. I'm going to make all examples use /var/www/support.naxosdev.com, adjust if you use something different. Once you have decided on the directory, create it and also create a directory called html inside of it.

Next Go to domain management and find naxosdev.com in the list. Click that and you should see the sub-domains at the bottom of the page when it loads. There will be one subdomain listed already for www. Below the list, there is a button "new". For the domain name, enter support.naxosdev.com and for the directory enter /var/www/support.naxosdev.com/html

DNS will take a while to propigate the new domain name. I think mine took six hours or so and then was fine. You can load content into the /var/www/support.naxosdev.com/html immediately. The day after you do this, you should be able to go to support.naxosdev.com and see the contents of the /var/www/support.naxosdev.com/html

Email accounts will work automattically for any user that you already have setup in your email system if you are using the WH email server on your machine. This is a good/bad thing IMHO.

Scott

naxos
12-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Hi Scott

(Disclaimer, I'm a new subscriber and have only been here about two weeks so this is my impressions based on playing with the site manager and may not be the best way).

I setup my SubDomain before reading your post. After reading your sample I realized that I followed the same path you suggested to create my first SubDomain :cool:. The only difference is that I placed my files under a folder called 'var/www/support' and I not created 'htm' folder. Currently I used another name instead of 'support' just for testing pourposes. It works!

THANK YOU to you and to all guys that helped me with this thread ;)

wildjokerdesign
12-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Just a quick word of advice for both naxos and corvus.

By creating your sub domains outside of /var/www/html it is possible that some things that work on your main domain will not work in the sub domain you have created. For example you do not have access to a cgi-bin and .htaccess files may not work of you. just a word of caution in case you run into some other problems. :) You have to make manual edits to your httpd.conf file in order to activate some things you may be used to using. There are quite a few post about this in the forum. Here is a link to one of them. http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=9120