PDA

View Full Version : Using a Subdomain to Point to Hosted Shopping Cart

scase
11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Hello,
I know this is probably very simple but I'm very new to creating my own web site and using subdomains. I have a new shopping cart (Volusion) that is hosted by a company. I created a subdomain: store.mydomain.com to use for the cart. The company owning the cart has provided me with an IP address and DNS info. I want to point my "shop" button on my web site to the new cart which will use this subdomain. (The current shopping cart is simple because it's just a URL so linking the button was a piece of cake!) :)

My question is what do I need to do to make sure my subdomain is now "pointing" to my shopping cart? When I created the subdomain, I noticed that a CNAME DNS record was created because I put the default directory into the subdomain just to get it created. Do I have to delete this CNAME record and create an address or sub-domain DNS record?

Help! I'm confused!!
Thanks in advance,
Stephanie
www.Products4Pets.com

wildjokerdesign
11-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I am pretty sure what you are looking for is how to create an "A Record" :Manual Info (http://members.westhost.com/domain-manage.html)

You log into your Site Manager then go to Domain Management > DNS Records then click on the New DNS Record. On the resulting page choose: Address Record. The rest should be self explanitory along with the manual info. I just gave it a try and it was able to create a subdomain on one of my accounts that pointed to anouther one of my static IP accounts. :)