PDA

View Full Version : I.E. 7 and WH Menu

wildjokerdesign
11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
I just let I.E. upgrade to 7 and notice that now the main WH menu is not showing up. Menu still shows fine on the main site. Only a problem here in the forum. Wondering if anyone else is seeing this or if WestHost may know the cause or have a fix?

wildjokerdesign
11-21-2006, 06:57 AM
I thought I would add a screen shot of what I am seeing in I.E. 7.
http://wildjokerdesign.com/wh/WHmenu.jpg

rolling
11-21-2006, 08:15 AM
better switch to Firefox ;-)

whadmin
11-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the heads up, we had to use a different menu script for the forums than the rest of the members site (we had to use one that used the same doctype as Vbulletin). I will see if there is an updated script available and get this fixed.

wildjokerdesign
11-21-2006, 01:27 PM
better switch to Firefox ;-)Well yes I have FireFox and use it but always test sites in all the major browsers. Most the time I do have I.E. open and running simply because that is what the majority of visitors to my sites use and it helps me catch things that may be standard but Microsoft has chosen not to abide by. ;) It is interesting that I.E. is emulating F.F. with the tabbed browsing.

whadmin
11-22-2006, 01:51 PM
This should be working in IE7 now, we have tested it here and it is working fine, but please let us know if you are still having any problems with this.

wildjokerdesign
11-23-2006, 08:24 AM
It is working fine now. :) Could you let use know what had to be done? Might be it was too involved a change but just wondering if there is something "basic" that has changed in I.E. 7 that I am missing.

Barbara Moore
11-23-2006, 03:20 PM
It is working fine now. :) Could you let use know what had to be done? Might be it was too involved a change but just wondering if there is something "basic" that has changed in I.E. 7 that I am missing.
What IE7 users are now seeing is what the rest of us with W3 compliant browsers have been seeing since sites were updated from html2 :)

Fortunately, for those of us on systems that M$ does not write an IE version for, sites that work in the compliant browsers appear to now work in IE7 too.

To summarise: the "basic" is that IE7 does not 'fix' editor's garbage code like it used to and now tries harder to display what the code has requested the browser to display. If you don't already do so, now is the time to run at least your master template through the html and css validators at w3.org. Considering that FrontPage still is unable to generate valid code when used by newbies, you probably have until IE10 before you have to write to html strict standards. :cool:

whadmin
11-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Wildjokerdesign,

We just installed a different menu script that was compatible with IE7 (the original menu script was written before IE7 had come out). I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now, and thanks again for the heads up.