PDA

View Full Version : Formmail Help

julian95
11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
:rolleyes: I have a form that I want filled out and it includes a paragraph I need the sender to agree to. However, when the form arrives in my email, that paragraph is missing. I need that to be included with the rest of the form in my email. Are there any suggestions!

rolling
11-07-2006, 05:43 PM
If the text changes, then you can include something like this

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="formmail.pl">

<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=recipient VALUE=rxmail@mydomain.com>
<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME="realname" VALUE="Web Form">
<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=subject VALUE="Signed Agreement">

<p>Your Email (*)<INPUT TYPE=text NAME=email SIZE=30></p>

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript">
var AgreeString = "I agree to do as you tell me<br /> I further agree to eat salad";
document.write(AgreeString);
document.write("<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=\"Agreement\" VALUE=\""+AgreeString+"\">");
</SCRIPT>
<p>Please type your name in this field to indicate you agreement of the terms
<INPUT TYPE=text NAME="IAgree" SIZE="50">:
</p>

<INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="submit" VALUE="I Agree">

<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME="required" VALUE="email,IAgree">
</FORM>

Whoever submits this form would have to enter an email address and type something in the text box. The email you would receive would look something like

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
Web Form (me@nowhere.yuk) on Tuesday, November 7, 2006 at 17:36:11
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreement: I agree to do as you tell me<br /> I further agree to eat salad

IAgree: RICHARD

submit: I Agree

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

bartgragg
11-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Richard,

i saw your blog! You use WordPress and Connections, and Westhost and know something of programming. I have 2 blogs based on modified Connections theme.

My hobby one is www.holeinthewalldiner.com/blog/
and I have a webpage designed for it called www.holeinthewalldiner.com/input.htm

If you look at that page you can see the type of information I am asking for.

I am trying to find out the easiest way to accept that information and turn it around and make it a Post on the blog for others to see and comment on.

Any thoughts? I have learned a ton, and have more to learn.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Bart Gragg
www.maverickbusinessadvisors.com

rolling
11-13-2006, 04:30 AM
Love the concept! It has been quite a while since I was in Walnut Creek. I used to do occasional work for Posco in Pittsbug.

A form will just get the data into your system, but you need to wrap all your input fields in a form.... Something like

<form name="post" action="postprocessor.php" method="post" id="post">
</form)
The action tells your server what it needs to do with the data it receives; the script receives the variables specified in the form such as name,address and city.

<input name="name" type="text" id="name3" size="100" maxlength="100">
<input name="address" type="text" id="address4" size="100" maxlength="100">
<input name="city" type="text" id="city2" size="25" maxlength="35">

Basically you need to save this data in a database and then format it for presentation later on. Are you going to make the database searchable, do you want it posted like a comment, what are your needs? Once you have decided that, you can write the script.

If you just want to receive an email, then you might like to try this plugin http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/secure-form-mailer-plugin-for-wordpress/comment-page-7/

bartgragg
11-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Richard;

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. In answer to your question, ideally the input is then output to a new Post, perhaps after approval by admin for things like redundancy, etc. As to searchability, i think the search function in connections might do. I have this vision, though, of 1000's of dienrs from around the world at some point.

I think the advantage of a Post or Page is that each diner is then commentable/reviewable by readers at large.

I will look further at your code and see if I can make something work. If you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know. It is early in the game and the more I set this up properly now, the less effort it will take in the future.

Bart