PDA

View Full Version : need a dummies guide to setting up 2nd www

J_M
10-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I have one hosting plan and want to set up a second site (site1.com and site2.com) each with separate html. I've tried my best based upon the info that I've found and am waiting for the DNS to update. But, I have a fear that its not set up correctly. The first site has been working fine for years and the good news is that I didn't break anything on that one.

Can someone jot down the steps to creating a second www on an already established site and this be down with the control panel and ftp or is ssh/putty required?

thanks, j

wildjokerdesign
10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
All you need is the Site Manager. I can never remember the "exacts" but the manual gives those details.

What can throw folks off with a second domain is the directory that they put it in. If you put it in /var/www/html/somedirectoryname/ then you are good to go. If you happen to put it in say /var/www/somediretoryname/ then you may have to make some manual changes to your .htaccess file manually and restart your VPS.

It would be better to let use know what you have done so fare or what you would like to end up with. There are many ways to get to the same place. :)

J_M
10-26-2006, 07:02 PM
thanks shawn,

I had set up the directory as /var/www/newdirectory, so I just changed it to /var/www/html/newdirectory.

My goal is to have 2 independent websites with their own URL (name.com and name2.com), email only for the original site. Below are my current steps.

So far:

1. registered domain and pointed to the WH servers

2. via control panel chose new domain, unchecked use local mail server (I don't need email for site) and custom directory : /var/www/html/newdirectory

3. populate the new directory with stuff.

4. impatiently wait for refreshing of DNS.

sound OK so far?

wildjokerdesign
10-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Yes that should get you going once the DNS fully propagates. If for some reason once that happens you find something you don't like about that set up then we can look at doing things a different way with some manual editing of things. This way is the easiest. :)

rolling
10-29-2006, 01:26 AM
The only trouble with having domain name2.com in directory /var/www/html/newdirectory is that you will also be able to access it via http://www.name1.com/newdirectory, which is not entirely satisfactory.

The suggestion has been made elsewhere that you place name2.com in the directory tree /var/www/vhost, for example /var/www/vhost/name2 instead
There are however implications for cgi-bin and .htaccess

Have you seen this thread? (Note: This post was imported from the previous forum, so replace every occurrence of &lt; with <. Also, Shawn always types ect when he means etc, but we love him anyway ;-) )

J_M
10-29-2006, 06:27 AM
thanks,

I'll check out the other route. I was able to get the additional site up, but I do have another that would benefit from placing it outside of the main directory.

regards, j

wildjokerdesign
10-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Richard for explaining the downfalls of placing the second domain in /var/www/html/ directory and finding the old post on it. I just did not have the time when I posted before to go into it fully.

What's wrong with "ect"? :) The bad thing about that is that I know I do it, look out for it, but still do it.