PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring FTP SMTP POP3

rolling
09-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I have been having reliability issues with my site recently. For some reason that seems to have everybody perplexed, FTP, email (SMTP and POP3) and Apache (HTTP) have died independantly. I have not installed any software other than that offerred by Westhost.

Is there some way that I can monitor these services and get my VPS to restart automatically? I am a neewbie to Linux, but imagine that I can use cron and a batch file of sorts to do this. Westhost's solution to each event has been to restart my server rather than investigate the cause :-(

I have enabled the Watchdog from the Site Manager, but this only monitors Apache, not any of the other services. I use htttp://www.siteuptime.com and http://www.hosttacker.com to monitor my site availability, but these wont restart the service.

Richard

rolling
09-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Well, I have written a script which will connect to each of the services and could take action if one had failed, but it appears that there is no way that us humble users can reboot our VPS from the command line. The only method available is via the site manager.

wildjokerdesign
09-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Richard,
Are you on a shared IP account or are do you have a Static IP? Shared IP accounts do "shut down" so to speak but are designed to "start" back up when there is a request. Although I know it seems like they may not be investigateing the issue and just restarting, if it is happening often I am sure they are. That being said... If you are not already when it does happen use the same Support Ticket to contact them. Replying to one of the emails sent or even logging into the Support Ticket system and adding the reply that way will re-open the issue and keep a running record of the problem in one place. I have done this in the past when there has been an issue that seems to re-occure and it has helped them to track the problem. This will make sure they realize it is not a one time thing. :)

rolling
09-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Things have been reliable of late, so it may just have been due to a glitch - I think that the FTP outage may have been consequence of "planned maintenance", not sure about SMTP outage. I just come from the school of "if it happened before, it will happen again unless I do something about it", so I thought that a script which ran every 10 minutes or so would be useful.

Maybe I could write a script to automatically submit a support ticket. Now there's a thought!

To answer your question, I am on the New Year package: $8.95 pcm, 3GB disk, 50GB bandwidth, static IP, Unlimited databases, email, FTP, aliases and subdomains, upto 5 Virtual Domains, pretty much everything except kitchen sink, Miva, ChilliSoft and Tomcat. Great for tinkering and learning about Hosting. Closest match these days is Business Value @12.95

jalal
09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Richard

Basically, if your services need restarting then there is something wrong with your setup and you should contact WH to get it sorted out.
If you have a basic WH setup then it should simply run without you needing to do anything. Period.
If that is not what you are getting from WH then stay on their case until you get that. I expect my sites to run 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. Thats what I'm paying for and that's what I expect.

And, I'm happy to say, that with WH that is what I get.

And so should you...

cheers
jalal