PDA

View Full Version : Need help determining best programming language

Stumpii
08-25-2006, 10:01 PM
As a newcomer to web programming, I am having a hard time determining the best language to use to write a program that I am starting.

I have a Windows program that generates RSS feeds by scraping a couple of websites I monitor. I have to run the programs manually, then ftp the XML files on my webiste so that my reader can read them.

What I want to do is have a program run on my website and create the XML files on the website automatically every hour.

Anyone have any opinions on what is the simplest language to implement this?

wildjokerdesign
08-26-2006, 09:04 AM
If it was my choice I would choose PHP. MagpieRSS: RSS for PHP (http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/) - Many php readers use this as base. If you go to thier links page at the top you will see a list of programs that use it. I have personally installed and used Feed2JS which works well and I think would be the best for you. Unfortunatly when I just tried the site it was down so not sure if the project is still around. Feeds on Feeds may work for you but it is a bit more complicated. There are links to Articles below the listed programs that you may want to take a look at if you want to create something on your own. :)

PHP can be pretty easy to learn. Just remember that you always want to edit PHP in a plain text editor like NotePad. NOT something like MSWord or other "fancy" wordprocessor.

Tom Howard
08-30-2006, 08:48 AM
I've become a big fan of Ruby lately. It has excellent string parsing abilities and libraries for working with XML. I think it is a clean language that is pretty easy to learn.