PDA

View Full Version : Managing Dead Links

sharingsunshine
07-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I looked on the forum for this subject but wasn't able to find anything.

I have a site that has lots of informational links from different organizations that are no longer working. I know it is important to remove dead links from my site for SEO rankings. Therefore, I am wanting to know if there is a service or tool that I can obtain that will make the management of the dead links easier?

Ideally, I would like for the tool or software to identify the bad links and then give me the option to get rid of them on the server or desktop. Currently, I have to go to each page and then the source code and then remove the code and then upload the changes. Seems like there has to be an easier method.

By the way, my site is using Dreamweaver.

Thanks in advance,

Randal

wildjokerdesign
07-25-2006, 10:37 AM
I have a "simple" php script I wrote to check links but it for use with a database. It does not read links on the page itself. What you might want to do is do a search on Google for "php link checker" and see if maybe you can find a script that can read the links on a page then check them for you. I would bet there is something out there you could find. There are also scripts for building your own search that may be useful for something like this. Some other keywords you might try are "indexer" or "link checker". The Perlfect Search that WestHost supplies via Site Manager is along the lines of what you are looking for and is a perl script (I prefer php but you might also find a perl script to use) but I think it only indexes you site and is more for createing a search for your site but the concepts are similiar since it is following links on your pages to find the information it needs to index.

sharingsunshine
07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Shawn,

I appreciate the suggested search words. I am getting closer to an answer.

Most link checkers don't handle the external links. Then when I find one that handles external links I also need the ability to edit the link immediately via an included HTML editor.

I have found a few. However, they are on Windows and I use Linux on the server and Mac OS on the desktop.

Nevertheless, Thanks for the suggestions.

Randal

jalal
07-26-2006, 01:39 AM
I use linklint (linklint.org).
I won't help you edit the link, but it produces nice, clickable HTML output and it is in Perl so will run most anywhere.
You might be able to add it as a tool to DW, I don't know.

wildjokerdesign
07-26-2006, 09:36 AM
I just realized that you are useing Dreamweaver to build your sites. Have you checked thier site for an extision that could be used for this? I have MX but have not used it now in so long that I can't remember what is available. I do know the last time I checked there where so pretty handy extensions.