PDA

View Full Version : New fashion jewelry site

However
07-17-2006, 08:52 PM
This website is about 2 months new. It has gone through few changes on layout and color usage.

I would love some advice on how to make the site look very "inviting". I am still trying to find a good balance between use of pictures and texts.

wildjokerdesign
07-18-2006, 08:00 AM
uh... did you maybe forget to tell us something? :) Link please.

However
07-20-2006, 04:46 PM
http://www.joyjewelryonline.com

hehe... dont know how would i let that happen

wildjokerdesign
07-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Looks pretty good. I think I would move the Weekly Specials block higher in the left column. Either where you have Free Shipping or above the Jewelry Collection link (grey blocks). Free Shipping could fit to the left of your Search bar.

You need to look at your Copyright code at the bottom. A ? (question mark) is showing for the copyright symbol. That may be a software thing.

I personally would not list email addy's on the Company page unless you encode them with javascript or some other process. The spam bots will pick up on those email addy's making it hard to sort through what is legit customer contact and what is not.

Omakler
07-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Just a quick little quip. As I was looking through the site, the only thing I noticed that you will want to fix is in regards to the 'Free Shipping'. There are a few places that you have 'free shipping on orders over 99.99' and others 'free shipping on orders over 100'. Though it is a minor thing it does tarnish credibility and professionalism.
Other than that it looks like a great site. Good luck with it.

However
07-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks

I fixed the ? issue
And the 100 and 99.99 inconsistency

kevo
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi,

Here are my two cents on the site:

* The left hand navigation can be re-organized by grouping similiar items. Right now, you list:
* Site-wide functions (cart, contact, order tracking)
* Jewelry Navigation
* Site-wide functions (home, catalog, features)
* Specials (two thumbnails)

To make this list more intuitive, I'd recommend something like:

* Site-wide functions (home, catalog, features, order tracking, contact)
* Jewelry Navigation
* Specials

To me, this is primarily a shopping site. I think the middle portion of the page is usually used to tell the story and to sell product. By using half of the length of the entire page to sell your company story and information on allergic reactions, the product is pushed way down (below the "fold"). This might be what you want to do, but if you were primarily concerned with showcasing your product (vs. your story), the page wouldn't be nearly as effective as if you put product up higher.

The right hand side with the blocks and information links to more could be designed a little more elaborately to fit the look of your site. I'm all for simple, clean design, but these look suspiciously similiar to Google advertisement blocks and will therefore be subject to "ad blindness" that many users have. Remember, if people think it looks like an advertisement, they'll actively ignore it.

Overall, I think the site design is very pleasant and probably addresses your target audience well. I think for me, it's about organizing and prioritizing the information and tweaking the layout to meet those goals in that order.

Since your site is up, you could do very well by conducting some research or informal polling of your customers and rating their satisfaction and ease of use to accomplish various goals and tweak its performance based upon that data.

Good luck with the site!

-Kevo

However
11-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi,

Here are my two cents on the site:

* The left hand navigation can be re-organized by grouping similiar items. Right now, you list:
* Site-wide functions (cart, contact, order tracking)
* Jewelry Navigation
* Site-wide functions (home, catalog, features)
* Specials (two thumbnails)

To make this list more intuitive, I'd recommend something like:

* Site-wide functions (home, catalog, features, order tracking, contact)
* Jewelry Navigation
* Specials

To me, this is primarily a shopping site. I think the middle portion of the page is usually used to tell the story and to sell product. By using half of the length of the entire page to sell your company story and information on allergic reactions, the product is pushed way down (below the "fold"). This might be what you want to do, but if you were primarily concerned with showcasing your product (vs. your story), the page wouldn't be nearly as effective as if you put product up higher.

The right hand side with the blocks and information links to more could be designed a little more elaborately to fit the look of your site. I'm all for simple, clean design, but these look suspiciously similiar to Google advertisement blocks and will therefore be subject to "ad blindness" that many users have. Remember, if people think it looks like an advertisement, they'll actively ignore it.

Overall, I think the site design is very pleasant and probably addresses your target audience well. I think for me, it's about organizing and prioritizing the information and tweaking the layout to meet those goals in that order.

Since your site is up, you could do very well by conducting some research or informal polling of your customers and rating their satisfaction and ease of use to accomplish various goals and tweak its performance based upon that data.

Good luck with the site!

-Kevo

Thanks very much for the comments, I also noticed the greenish text block on the right hand looks a bit like ad, just did a few modification to adjust according on your suggestions:

Added a color strip line under the Banner to enrich the color of the site
Changed the background color of the Jewelry Navigation from grey to pinkish grey to fit into the overal color scheme
Added Special Offer banner at Home page;
Added Special Offer section on the right hand side, as well as highlighting Free Shipping title, hopefully this will make it look less like Ad;

A few things I am still trying to decide:

I did break up the general Navigation into 2 parts based (Shopping Cart, Contact Us, Order Tracking) and (Features, Home, Seasonal Special). Reason being: I cant fit everything on the top-left section of the page, so I have to do a 3 + 3. 3 Items seem to be the perfect amount of links I should fit in the top-left section. I am thinking about doing (Shopping Cart, Home, Order Tracking) on top, then merge Features and Seasonal Special with Jewelry Navigation. What do you think?

Also about homepage in general, I was thinking about putting the Best Selling Designs section first. But putting all the pictures (special banner and products) together make them fight for the attention. What do you think if I arrange home page in such order: Special Sales Banner, Shopping at Joy Jewelry Online (text, so all the big pictures dont get squeezed together), Best selling designs, Quality Guarantee (you are right, this section can go to the end).

Thanks again for the comments, please let me know