PDA

View Full Version : customizing miva

lclark
05-25-2006, 09:29 AM
can i use miva merchant with an already up and running store. id like to keep the look and layout that i alredy have and just impliment the store use?

rispku
05-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Lisa,

The short answer is yes, but it really depends on what you have in mind. You should be able to manipulate MM's appearance to mimic that of your static/pre-existing site's pages.

There's also another thread similar in topic here: "Help Designing Miva Shopping Cart to look like Website"

lclark
05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
i saw that post, thank you . as far as what i have in mind, i dont know the full extent of what miva can do. i want it to fit into my existing site

www.planethi-fi.com

thanks alot

wildjokerdesign
05-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Lisa,
Your site does not appear to be a dynamic one. It seems to be a collection of static HTML pages that you have linked together that use PayPal. It is possible that you could develope a template that looked like what you have on your static pages but you would have to enter all the data for the items into the database of the new Store. In essence everything you have done would be obsolete and no longer used. You use quite a bit of flash in your site... perhaps rispku could let us know if that would be a challenge in MM templates. I think it could be an issue.

I think you are looking for something that can just drop in and work but I don't think you are going to find it. I am try to think of some search words and phrases that may help. What we are really talking about is Database Management. There are a bunch of php scripts that can help with this but they still require knowledge of php and MySQL in order to delvelope the code to access it. Some Examples (http://php.resourceindex.com/Functions_and_Classes/Database_Management/).

In the long run it may be better for you to "start over" in a way and install something like MM and see if you can get it to do what you want. Pretty sure there is a way you can still use PayPal for payments although not in the way you know do.

lclark
05-25-2006, 04:26 PM
shawn,

thanks alot for the reply, i had a feeling i had to start over, ugh, this would be the second time, but im learning. im not to far into it though, i wouldnt mind reentering the products. ive installed miva and it seems like it can be customizable. i wouldnt mind if i lost the scroller and the other stuff on the right side but i do like the top part and would like to see if i can bring that over to miva. ive looked at the miva web site and it looks like its pretty customizable. i wouldn care if the side menu changedeither, same with paypal. im not "married " to it.

thanks again you guys for the help.

Lisa

rispku
05-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes, you should be able to create a design similar to that within Merchant. Flash should work also, however, you should seriously consider dropping it all together. Using flash for navigation buttons is really a web design faux pas, and the rest of the flash animation on that site serves no real purpose. E-commerce web design is all about streamlining the interface to make navigating your site as easy as possible, and focusing on what people really came for: the products. You don't want a lot of pointless graphics and animated scenes distracting your visitors and burdening them with larger downloads. Further, not everyone has flash and some may not be able to use it. You really don't want to exclude anyone from using your site because they don't have an optional browser plug-in. Remember, you're selling products, not the web design.

You'll definitely have to enter in your product information again. This appears to be a brick-and-mortar business, though, so you may be in luck. If they're using a computer-based inventory system, or if they're using a computerized point-of-sale system (as opposed to just an ordinary cash register), ask them if they can dump the inventory to a tab-delimited file. If not, ask if it can be dumped to any other format, or what kind of database it stores that information in. Merchant has a flexible tab-delimited database import tool built-in.

same with paypal. im not "married " to it.
There is a PayPal payment module included with MM.

rispku
05-25-2006, 08:55 PM
I'd just like to add that I didn't mean for that to sound so terse or condescending. I realize you didn't solicite my opinion on the web design, but I thought I'd offer some constructive criticism anyhow. Regardless, if it's not welcome I'll just shove it. ;)

wildjokerdesign
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
I think your points on Flash are very valid rispku. I stay away from it when I can. When I do use it I always provide an alternative. I had started to say something similar but hesitated. :)

I do think that in order to compete that the internet will at some point need some "flash". This time I don't mean the program itself but the ability to serve up the same type of multimedia display as you see on TV. I think that users will start looking for that. I guess I am starting to hijack the topic so should stop now. ;)

lclark
05-26-2006, 04:28 AM
I'd just like to add that I didn't mean for that to sound so terse or condescending. I realize you didn't solicite my opinion on the web design, but I thought I'd offer some constructive criticism anyhow. Regardless, if it's not welcome I'll just shove it. ;)

no,no, not at all!!!! your replies are very welcome, i know your right though about the flashy stuff, i originally was going to stay away from it but fell into the trap ayway, i was able to get my design to work in miva though, but your right, simple is better and i am always teling my mom that, she sells on ebay,,,,,,

i started using miva and its going goos so far, ill tone down the images. i do agree,

i didnt think of the inventory at all, thanks for bringing that up. they do have an inventory system, ill see what format that is in and see if that can be put in miva, it has a bulk up load.

thanks alot