PDA

View Full Version : Requesting IMAP support!

ozoner
05-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Please count me as one more current multiple-domain WestHost customer that is DEARLY missing IMAP support.

WestHost provides good service at a good value, but the lack of IMAP email support is causing increasing hardship.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

jalal
05-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Seconded!!!

Jesse Gillespie
05-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Thirded, although I've already moved over to dreamhost for most of my hosting needs. I check back here every once in a while to see if Westhost has gotten on the IMAP train yet, as I liked most of their service and would probably go back if they had it.

torrin
05-15-2006, 09:00 AM
I'd like to see it too.

WestHost - CRussell
05-16-2006, 12:04 PM
IMAP is something we have spent some time on. There are still some issues that need to be worked out. However, I think IMAP is something you'll see in the near future. Sorry at this point I can't pin down a specific date.

Simon_J
05-16-2006, 03:50 PM
What I understand it's not just one click and then I have IMAP on my VPS account (please correct me if I'm wrong). How about a separate server/servers that handles IMAP and POP?

I have used IMAP for many years and it's the best from my point of view. One place for the emails that can be reached by different devices like desktop PC, PDA, mobile phone etc...

/Simon Jansson

ozoner
05-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks for considering the addition of IMAP support. IMAP is one thing that I really can't do without. Shame on me for not investigating closer before I switched my domains over to WestHost, but it simply never occured to me that a major hosting company with an otherwise great product would not support IMAP - I have never encountered a hosting provider that did not.

Honestly, I would not have switched had I realized in advance that there was no IMAP...

w2vy
06-04-2006, 05:44 AM
I found a package that looks good!

Dovecot IMAPD (http://dovecot.org)

download, configure, make and make install

There are a couple of install errors (file permissions) but the main program
is not effected.

There is no /etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot file so I created

#!/bin/bash
#
# initialization/shutdown script for foobar package

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

case "$1" in
start)
echo "Starting dovecot"
/usr/local/sbin/dovecot
;;
stop)
echo "Stopping dovecot"
killproc dovecot
;;
*)
echo "unknown option: $1 - should be 'start' or 'stop'" >&2
;;
esac

In the dovecot.conf file you need to change the *:143 to <your IP>:143
and change the userid's (?root? I forget) to your shell userid.

But it works nice.

It also supports both mbox and maildir formats.
If anyone tried update this thread so other see success or failure...

Tom

jalal
06-05-2006, 08:09 AM
I just tried a quick installation and it went smoothly.
However, to run it I needed to disable ssl (ssl_disable = yes). And it has problems creating a worker listener...

I'm not too happy about running an IMAP server without some sort of security. So for now, I'll leave it until I have time to work out how to run it securely.

It is an interesting possibility that I may look into later when I have more time. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Are you actually running it? Do you get errors about 'creating worker listener' in /var/log/maillog.

cheers
jalal

w2vy
06-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Are you actually running it? Do you get errors about 'creating worker listener' in /var/log/maillog.

Yes I am using it and no I do not see those errors.

Did you update this section of /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf

# PEM encoded X.509 SSL/TLS certificate and private key. They're opened before
# dropping root privileges, so keep the key file unreadable by anyone but
# root. Included doc/mkcert.sh can be used to easily generate self-signed
# certificate, just make sure to update the domains in dovecot-openssl.cnf
#ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
#ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
ssl_cert_file = /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
ssl_key_file = /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/server.key

Tom

dmorlitz
07-19-2006, 06:39 PM
I was reading this thread, and I was hoping that you could help me with my dovecot configuraton. I managed to get the SSL working just fine, the username and passwords working from the shadow file fine, but I still have 2 errors remaining.

1) What do you use as the default name space?
2) Did you get any errors about libiconv.so.2 not being found? I know that I have the file, I just don't know how to tell dovecot where it is.

Thank you.

sylmahs
07-19-2006, 07:13 PM
you're having more luck than I am :/

I can't even get it to run as I get those auth worker errors when it tries to chown a process.

Jul 18 21:15:40 ###.### dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.rc2 starting up
Jul 18 21:15:41 ###.### dovecot: chown(/usr/local/var/run/dovecot/auth-worker.25362, 0, 0) failed: Operation not permitted
Jul 18 21:15:41 ###.### dovecot: Couldn't create auth worker listener

dmorlitz
07-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Make sure to set the following variables:
login_user = <your username>
user = <your username>
login_chroot = no

I think that might have been all that I changed.

sylmahs
07-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Messed with it some more and got it working including SSL :)

i stuck my certificate stuff below:

/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
/usr/local/etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem

had to modify the mkcert.sh script first for this to work.

Now i've got roundcubemail working pretty decently.

dmorlitz
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I got around one of my problems, but I am still stuck at the namespaces area. What did you use for your namespaces?

Would it be possible for you to post your dovecot.conf file so I could compare the settings to mine?

sylmahs
07-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Didn't do anything fancy /w namespaces, just figured out the mbox format and set

default_mail_env = mbox:/etc/virt_users/%u/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u

You can grab a copy of my config @

http://talonstorm.net/dovecot.conf

For general purposes I put some generic descriptions where I had site specific info. Those are marked as < description >

I can see some other tweaks I might make, but it works with this configuration.

w2vy
07-20-2006, 05:32 AM
1) What do you use as the default name space?
2) Did you get any errors about libiconv.so.2 not being found? I know that I have the file, I just don't know how to tell dovecot where it is.

Thank you.

All my namespace settings are commented out (ie default)

as for libiconv...

do this:

cd /usr/local/lib
ln -s ../phplibs/lib/libiconv.so.2.2.0
ln -s ../phplibs/lib/libiconv.so.2
ln -s ../phplibs/lib/libiconv.so

As always... peek before you poke... see what does not exist already...

One think I never mentioned... you must have a VPS that has a dedicated IP.

dmorlitz
07-20-2006, 06:32 AM
OK - you might find this humorous. When my VPS was created the 3 symlinks mentioned below already existed, and were owned by root. When I removed the links from /usr/local/lib and re-created them myself (to change the ownership of the link to my account) everything just started working.

Strange solution - but it makes things work - so I am posting it back here for anyone else who might run into the same problem.

All my namespace settings are commented out (ie default)

as for libiconv...

do this:

cd /usr/local/lib
ln -s ../phplibs/lib/libiconv.so.2.2.0
ln -s ../phplibs/lib/libiconv.so.2
ln -s ../phplibs/lib/libiconv.so

sylmahs
07-20-2006, 11:29 AM

Aye.. though I wish I could run find / -name whatever and not have it return the /proc folder which gives you a load of access denied errors that overfill the terminal buffer :mad:

[though there probably is a way to tell it ignore a specific location and I haven't bothered to look up the finer details of find in a while]

w2vy
07-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Just do find /usr -name blah...

That will get most everything...

tom

WestHost - CRussell
08-17-2006, 03:38 PM
We are making good progress here. Expect to see an update from me in the coming weeks.

ozoner
10-10-2006, 06:59 PM
We are making good progress here. Expect to see an update from me in the coming weeks.

Any update on this? The September 1 newsletter said that IMAP would be released "in the coming weeks", and now the newsletter that I just got today (6 weeks later) says the exact same thing.

This is REALLY starting to put a crimp in the way I work.

WestHost - CRussell
10-15-2006, 11:06 PM
We are aiming for a launch the first week of Nov for IMAP. We are also planning to launch RoundCube with it as well. IMAP is almost here!

WestHost - BErickson
11-02-2006, 07:20 PM
IMAP has launched and will be pushed out to all clients' accounts within the next few days.

w2vy
11-08-2006, 05:00 AM
That is Great news!

I hope there will be some detailed information on how it will be structured
so that dedicated server customers will be able to look at the impact
before enabling the new support.

It may be a bit tricky to turn off one IMAP and enable the other.

Tom

rolling
11-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Regarding a couple of error messages mentioned earlier in this thread....

The simple way to hide the error output from /proc when you use find is to redirect it to the bit bucket

find / -name fred 2>/dev/null

The important bit there is the 2>/dev/null which means redirect the output for STDERR(errors) to the null device (bit bucket). If you wanted to save the results in a file, then you would type

find / -name fred >results.txt 2>/dev/null

Also, if your application cannot find libiconv.so.2 (or any other library) when it runs, then you have probably run into a Westhost bug which took me a week to resolve! When you install certain applications through the site manager, they forget to run ldconfig to update the /etc/ld.so.cache file

To find out if this is your problem, type ldconfig -p|grep libiconv. If libiconv.so.2 does not appear and it already exists in /usr/local/lib, then you need to update the cache. Just enter the command ldconfig on its own.

Hope that helps

w2vy
11-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Any news?

I have noticed mail has gotten very variable in delivery rates.

I have a dedicated server and a process that sends out an email once an hour
they used to come within seconds, now it seems they can take hours to be delivered to the same server!

Maybe this is a support issue

tom

rolling
11-15-2006, 05:57 AM
Edit
Oops! Had managed to switch my Display Mode to threaded and so replied to ozoner's original post, but I hope this is still useful.

Also, BErickson's post has not been deleted, it's here (http://forums.westhost.com/showpost.php?p=33664&postcount=12)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

They've released it. Just go to your site manager and install it. If you want to have both POP3 and IMAP access, then you will need to edit your procmail file

Support for both IMAP and POP3 simultaneously is not enabled by default, although it can be set up. Most clients won't be using POP3 once they have installed IMAP, and subsequently, would see their POP3 mailbox continue to grow in size over time. We're simply trying to cut down on anything that could affect server performance needlessly.

To have simultaneous support for both IMAP and POP3, you'll need to add two (2) lines to your /etc/procmailrc file:

:0 c:
$DEFAULT

just before

DEFAULT = /var/spool/imap/$LOGNAME/mbox
# -------------- IMAP Server 1.0 --------------

w2vy
11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
oh come on!

It COPIES the mail to a special area for IMAP...

grrrrrrrrrrr

I had hoped they were picking up on dovecot which IMAPD reads mbox (pop3) files...

grrrr

tom

WestHost - BErickson
11-21-2006, 01:55 PM
W2vy,

Thanks for the feedback. Our version of IMAP is based directly off of University of Washington IMAP server, which also has the ability to read Unix mbox files. The issue is that if both the POP3 mail server and the IMAP mail server are using the same inbox, we introduce a number of problems:

* The POP3 server doesn't allow a user to login multiple times at once, but IMAP does.
* The POP3 server and the IMAP server may modify the inbox at the same time (a recipe for disaster and file corruption).
* The POP3 server expects you to download copies of your message to your local computer, deleting them off the server when you do so (although your e-mail client isn't required to delete them). The IMAP server expects that messages will always remain on the server until deleted by an e-mail client.
* The POP3 server does not differentiate between new messages and old messages, although your e-mail client will for you. The IMAP server does. If you read an e-mail through POP3, the IMAP server will still consider it unread. Likewise, if you read an e-mail through IMAP, then a POP3 mail client will continue to report the message as unread.

Some of the problems of sharing the inbox are easily solved, but most are not. The bottom line is that we felt that using the same mailbox for the POP3 server and the IMAP server would cause more problems and confusion then separating them does.

We would be happy to answer any other questions you have about IMAP and how it has been implemented on our servers. We've tried to provide a solution that would work the best for the majority of our clients and we intend to continue to improve upon this solution as time goes on.

ozoner
12-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Well, after having implemented and started using the dual IMAP/POP3 server, I am running into a couple of fairly major problems that seem pretty goofy.

When you enable the dual mode, the mail server delivers all incoming user mail to BOTH the IMAP and POP3 inboxes. So for my IMAP users, it means that the unused POP3 mailbox rapidly fills up, and for my POP3 users it means that the IMAP mbox fills up. When the unused mailbox reaches its quota, it starts throwing bounces to my postmaster account, and stops delivering mail to the user because they are "over quota".

The solution the WestHost support suggested was 1) increase the mailbox quota on affected accounts to 40, 50, or in one case 100MB, so that the bounces happen "less often". Another suggestion was to use an ftp client to continually delete large unused mailbox files as they become full.

I guess the best "solution" to this is to set up a chron job that will run daily or weekly, that will manually go in and delete unused POP3 or IMAP mailboxes??

Is there no way to set up the control panel so that you can specify what type of mail account you want an end-user to have - POP3 or IMAP??? Then the mail server would only deliver to the appropriate box, and not to both at the same time. To my (admitedly uneducated) mind, this would seem to be a simple solution.

Having IMAP is great - it was sorely needed. But in this case the cure is almost worse than the disease...

WestHost - BChambers
12-15-2006, 05:22 PM
For those of you with questions about IMAP, please review our online documentation in our Members Area at http://members.westhost.com/sm_sa_email_imap.html. This was just updated and should be of help for many of you.

WestHost - CRussell
12-24-2006, 12:34 PM
If you feel http://members.westhost.com/sm_sa_email_imap.html is still not answering your questions or parts of it need clarified, please post those comments in this thread. We want to make sure this documentation is answering your questions and easy to understand.

rolling
01-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Online help does not appear to be working correctly for me. I get http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/sitemanager/index.htm when I click on the link.

wildjokerdesign
01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
They changed the manual but forgot to come back and update the link here it looks like. :)

Give this link a try:
http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/sitemanager/index.htm#SA_IMAP_Server.htm

That should take you to the new manual page regarding IMAP.

BTW: With the new system if you want to post a link to it here on the forum you have to first go to the main page which is the one you got redirected to. Then find the area you want to reference in the left side menu. Instead of clicking on the link do a right click to open the link in a new window or tab. You could then use the link that shows in your address bar at the top or if you want it displayed with the full manager click on the Show at the top of the page and use the url that then shows up in your address bar.

rolling
01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Looks like we cannot paste links here on the forum (or anywhere else) for the help pages. When I click on your link, I get the manual page for the System Manager Login (http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/sitemanager/). It looks like we have to give the tree position, for example Site Applications / E-mail / IMAP Server. Maybe Westhost can play with their Robohelp configuration file :)

wildjokerdesign
01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
That is odd Richard. When I click on it I go to the IMAP Server page with the Table of contents listed on the left and the IMAP Server link highlighted.... Hmmm?

whadmin
01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks like we cannot paste links here on the forum (or anywhere else) for the help pages. When I click on your link, I get the manual page for the System Manager Login (http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/sitemanager/). It looks like we have to give the tree position, for example Site Applications / E-mail / IMAP Server. Maybe Westhost can play with their Robohelp configuration file :)

This is because the new docs use frames, and you can not link to a frame state. We use a javascript and some RoboHelp map files to link to specific frame states in our documents from our drop down navigation (and other areas of the members area), but you would have to be familiar with JavaScript (and know the syntax for this specific script) and have a list of our map file ids (which we could provide if you needed) if you wanted to be able to link directly to a topic (and automatically display the table of contents and body of a specific doc).

The other alternative would be to link directly to the frame page (so once you find the document you want to link to from http://helpdocs.westserver.net/sitemanager/, right click and view the properties of the main content frame, and copy the link from that page). That will load the specific document, but will not automatically load the left table of contents or top bar. Once you load the link, you can click the "Show" link at the top of the page to load those other items though (just an extra step). This is unfortunately one of the downfalls of RoboHelp HTML (Web Help specifically from their offerings).

An example link would be: http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/sitemanager/SA_IMAP_Server.htm

rolling
01-10-2007, 05:23 AM
That worked. While both whadmin's and wildjoker's URLs began http://www.helpdocs.westserver.net/sitemanager/ the working copy uses SA_IMAP_Server.htm instead of index.htm#SA_IMAP_Server.htm