PDA

View Full Version : CVS -- Possible to add?

HalVaughan
03-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I searched the forums for CVS and found no results. I'm rather surprised, since I would think people would want to be able to include this on their account. Is it possible that this will ever be added as a site application?

Thanks!

Hal

wildjokerdesign
03-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I doubt that it will ever be added as a Site App simply because most users would have no need for it. It does seem there has been some disscussion on it but not sure what the search would be to find it. Unless you where trying to create a website like Sourceforge it would seem like it would make more sense simply to use thier system. :) Why bog down your account with something that can be done somewhere else.

HalVaughan
03-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Unless you where trying to create a website like Sourceforge it would seem like it would make more sense simply to use thier system. :) Why bog down your account with something that can be done somewhere else.

I noticed you seem to be following me, finding reasons to NOT do whatever I suggest or ask about. I may have different needs than you, which may make something very useful for me or for others. I don't know you (and no offense is intended), but you seem more interested in defending status quo than in looking at possibilities. You might not find this useful (or my comment about Sendmail), but please don't rule out such things only on their value within your point of view.

No, I don't want to recreate SF. I have a few, as in less than 10, projects that I'm working on where I collaborate with others. While they are open source, they're either not at the point where I want to advertise them, or, in one case, I'm working with a programmer on some features we want to add to another project. We don't want to include our files in the projects CVS until we've had time to polish them off. In all cases, a "small" CVS system only used by a few people, but accessible worldwide, would be a big help.

wildjokerdesign
03-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Sorry did not mean to seem so negative but I did feel that since it would be something that that most users would not need that it would not be add as a part of the Site Apps. I am pretty sure that some have worked with this in the past and been able to get CVS or variations of this to work. Have you tried installing yet and if so are there any specifics problems you ran into that you might post that someone may be able to help with. I am still looking through old post to see if I can find the past threads on this and if I do I'll direct you to them.

wildjokerdesign
03-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I was mistaken. I was remembering a post on Subversion and not CVS. Could you perhaps use this information? HowTo Guide: Installing Subversion (http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=8206).

UPDATE: I found the CVS thread I was thinking of. Installing and configuring a cvs server (http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=8465).

And anouther: Run a CVS on a Westhost account? (http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=6934)

BTW the forum software drops anyword three or under in searches I am pretty sure so useing just CVS does not return much. I actually ended up useing "Installing CVS" and "Setting Up CVS" as a search term. I still had to dig through the returned post but it did help some.

HalVaughan
03-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Sorry did not mean to seem so negative
I wonder if you're a progammer? I am, by nature, a writer, but this chance came up and for 4 years I've been doing nothing but programming, and I realized that in that time I've learned to see the potential problems in everything and think 5 steps ahead to catch bugs and user interface problems before they happen.

It seems like that is how you're thinking -- analytically noticing what doesn't work quickly and acting on that first.

but I did feel that since it would be something that that most users would not need that it would not be add as a part of the Site Apps.
I was thinking it would probably be easy to setup and that might make it worthwhile. Even though not many would use it, if it's easy to add, there might be an advantage to offering a few services that aren't hard for Westhost to setup. Doing so would present an image of being willing to work with technical users, and being able to list a few more services might look good as far as advertising. At least I was hoping that would be reason enough to include something like CVS.

I am pretty sure that some have worked with this in the past and been able to get CVS or variations of this to work. Have you tried installing yet and if so are there any specifics problems you ran into that you might post that someone may be able to help with. I am still looking through old post to see if I can find the past threads on this and if I do I'll direct you to them.
I haven't tried it yet, since I wanted to hear what was up before I started doing it.

Is there a problem with the search function? In another post, you said something that made me wonder, since my search for CVS turned up nothing.

Hal

HalVaughan
03-04-2006, 06:18 PM
UPDATE: I found the CVS thread I was thinking of. Installing and configuring a cvs server (http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=8465).

Checked this first, since it seemed the most likely.

Bingo!

So why didn't it come up when I searched for CVS from the main forum page?

Oh, well. It's there. It's what I need. It'll be a big help for the small groups I'm working with.

Thanks!

Hal

wildjokerdesign
03-04-2006, 08:36 PM
So why didn't it come up when I searched for CVS from the main forum page?
CVS is only three letters and thus it is dropped from the search. Most forum search functions do this to save on resources.

The beauty of the VPS enviroment is that it allows the user to customize thier account much more then a regular shared hosting account. Since you have root access equivlent you can do much more. I think that WestHost is trying to concentrate on makeing that technology more robust so that users can control thier individual VPS account as a whole as opposed to adding individual features. They are working on adding speed and effeciency to the system itself. At this point I think simply adding programs into the Site Apps tends to slow down the overall process.

My programming knowledge is all self taught and experiance. I learned by digging in and exploreing. I started with cgi and perl and more recently have move to programming more in php. I still do not have a great knowledge of things like Apache, Sendmail and other base programs that are used in running a site but I am learning. Others on the forum actually have a better grasp of such things but I have been hanging out here for so long that I often remember post or information that I can lead folks to.