PDA

View Full Version : SOS! Individual sendingBulk email using my name!

Michael Havlicek
02-12-2006, 05:07 AM
:mad:
Hello!
Someone is using sendmail to send huge quantities of bulkmail for 2 days now using my company name. For the moment I estimate the number of bulk mails to 5 hundreds using a prefix before heliographe.com
Any Idea how to log his IP and how stop him?
:o

allyn
02-12-2006, 09:03 AM
you can't stop it. usually they stop after a few days and move on to another victim.

jalal
02-12-2006, 10:00 AM
As allyn says, there isn't much you can do about it.
Even if you did get the IP, that would probably resolve to some poor soul who has installed a trojan on his computer that is now sending out hundreds of emails.

wildjokerdesign
02-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Just to clarify what both jalal and allyn are speaking of.... What more then likely is happening is that they are not useing your accounts Sendmail to send these emails out. They are being sent via someone's account on a local computer that has been comprimised or sent out via anouther masking technique and they have simply faked the headers to look like it is comeing from you. If you think that somehow sendmail on your account is being used it would most likely be via a php program you had installed or some other back door they got in. The likely hood of this is very slim.

torrin
02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
If you think that somehow sendmail on your account is being used it would most likely be via a php program you had installed or some other back door they got in. The likely hood of this is very slim.

Agreed that the likelihood is slim, but check the logs anyway, just to make sure. You might have to actually turn them on. There is another post about that somewhere on the forum.