PDA

View Full Version : Make network status a little more helpful

jalal
02-05-2006, 08:08 AM
One of my servers is down... so I went to the contact page to file a support request.
On that page it says:
Server: wdclnx65 is down and being worked on.

But how do I know if that is my server or not? There is no connection that I know of between wdclnx65 and my VPS/domain.

It would be more useful if we had an easy way to check what server our sites are on.

TIA

Mr_Breeze
02-05-2006, 08:14 AM
I have to agree with you there. Chances are it's the same one if they know a server is down and put a note up, and your server is down. There is also a chance it you may be on another server that is down that they may not know about. In that case it would be a mistake to assume they are working on your server. In short... yes we should be able to tell witch server we are on. :rolleyes:

wildjokerdesign
02-05-2006, 10:19 AM
It might be nice if the support system could be tied in with the netstatus page. If on the contact page there was a display of when a server was down and and the below that perhaps a text field where you could enter you domain to check if it is one of them affected by the outage. Then you would know weather you needed to submit a ticket or not.

jalal
02-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Well it turns out my server isn't the one that is listed on the page. But it is still down...

There is little point in putting up the status pages if we do not know what servers our sites are on... :-)

wildjokerdesign
02-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Jalal, I have recenly noticed that one of my accounts seems to shut down Apache when there is maintnance done and then does not restart. I have to restart via shell to get it going again. There where a couple other times when working in Site Manager it happened so a Ticket has been started where we are trying to keep track of when it happens and what, if anything, I was doing at the time of shut down. This is one of the old 1.0 accounts I have that has undergone many transformations. I know you may have some similiar accounts and wonder if maybe the same thing is happening and it may be worth doing the same with it as far as trying to track when it happens.

BASE_739
03-06-2006, 10:40 PM
So my server was offline last night, I think for nearly 12 hours. When it finally came back online, I had lost emails that were sent to me during that time, and my forum was missing many posts.

So its not the end of the world, and I did not lose much sweat over it. But here's what peeves me:

No notification that the sever is currently down (like an email to my hotmail)

No notification of how long the server was down.

No info on how the server was restored, or the impact of the fix (i.e. "you might have lost data as early as 10am Sunday...please check your data"...)

No little love note to say "sorry, while you were out, we tried, we fixed, your business is still important to us, contact us if you still have problems".

No reassurance that the problem is resolved. For example, was the problem solved, or should I be backing up my data every hour until a new fix comes along?

I've been with this hosting company for awhile, and this is my only bad experience. The good still outweighs the bad, but still, this round didn't leave me with a very warm and fuzzy feeling.

wildjokerdesign
03-07-2006, 07:55 AM
I like your suggestions. It would be nice if at least a general email could be sent out once the problem is fixed that explains a bit about what may have happened. It could be they really could not go into details but if they perhaps had to restore the site with an older backup (sounds like that may have happened here since you lost forum data) that you could be informed of the date of the back up used. I fully agree with you that this could go far in makeing WestHost top in support.