PDA

View Full Version : Requesting review of www.lookupthis.com

lookupthis
01-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi,

I developed lookupthis.com couple of years ago for my own personal use. The aim was to maintain all my bookmarks online.

There were many other sites out there which performed the same tasks but i was not sure if my bookmarks would remain there forever or if they would keep track of my surfing privacy.

Over the year, I happened to notice that a lot many similar sites have cropped up such as Yahoo My Web, Amazon A9, Furl, and the other countless ones.

Most of these sites had loads of features not available on my site. Yet I felt lookupthis.com was worth maintaining and also make it available for others.

So I tweeked the site a bit, made it more userfriendly and general purpose and added a few new ideas such as "democratic shared ad spaces".

The main aim of my website (for my own personal use and others) is to provide a simple search engine like platform for posting ones favorites sites online and be able to search it too. The other aim is the provide online privacy by not tracking personal information.

Though my site is getting a lot of hits, not many are registering for the free service. So someone told me most people would not understand how to use lookupthis.com and asked me to post something that would help.

So i created a FAQ, Help and Demo.

I wanted to know if there is anything more that I need to do so that people come to know what lookupthis is about and start using it.

Regards

Gurudatt Shenoy

wildjokerdesign
01-29-2006, 02:13 PM
I read through your FAQ and had a look at your DEMO. First on the demo you may want to slow the rate of the movement from slide to slide. I know you can manually move through them but the rate set on the auto advance is a bit fast for getting through the info on each.

I am still not real sure why I would want to use the site. You mention makeing money which would be the biggest reason most folks might use it (let's face folks like to make money) but how much you make and the method you make is a bit vague and even leads me to think that at the moment you a person can not make any money but you have some plan to let them make money in the future. I understand it may still be under development but you may not get takers untill it is implemented.

I don't like the fact that any resulting sites you may go to are displayed in a pop up window that is stripped down. I personally would ditch the pop up and let the search results be rendered in the same window. Clicking on the results should open in the same window also just as if you are searching on Google. A user can always right click and have a link open in a new window if they want that or set thier Browser how they want links to open if the browser allows that.

I think it would help if you would unify the site some. In other words if all your pages had navigation added to them i.e. Terms, About Us, FAQ ect. Going back to pop up windows... I think that all your site links should open in the main window.. things under DISPLAY YOUR ADERTISMENT ON LOOKUPTHIS should open in the main window for example.

The last comment is that when asking for a critique it may help to give a clickable link. :)
http://www.lookupthis.com

lookupthis
01-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Please check my comments in bold

I read through your FAQ and had a look at your DEMO. First on the demo you may want to slow the rate of the movement from slide to slide. I know you can manually move through them but the rate set on the auto advance is a bit fast for getting through the info on each.

Reduced the speed of slides to 5 secs from 3 seconds.

I am still not real sure why I would want to use the site. You mention makeing money which would be the biggest reason most folks might use it (let's face folks like to make money) but how much you make and the method you make is a bit vague and even leads me to think that at the moment you a person can not make any money but you have some plan to let them make money in the future. I understand it may still be under development but you may not get takers untill it is implemented.

When we search google, google displays ads so do other search engines. but we do not get paid for those ads unless we subscribe to say google adsense. but to get paid via google adsense, we need to create a site and put it there first and have visitors visit our site and click on the ads.

With lookupthis you need not have a site to host your affiliate ads, lookupthis provides adspace on it search page results directly to you provided you have max number of links bookmarked for a particular search keyword. e.g. "music"

When people search for "music", they will see your affiliate ads and click on them getting you the money.

You can also directly approach other advertisers and host their ads the same way.

All you need to do is see that for a search keyword, you have max number of links.

This will require you to monitor your keywords.

I don't like the fact that any resulting sites you may go to are displayed in a pop up window that is stripped down. I personally would ditch the pop up and let the search results be rendered in the same window. Clicking on the results should open in the same window also just as if you are searching on Google. A user can always right click and have a link open in a new window if they want that or set thier Browser how they want links to open if the browser allows that.

Done that to most of the pages. Now they open in the main window.

I think it would help if you would unify the site some. In other words if all your pages had navigation added to them i.e. Terms, About Us, FAQ ect. Going back to pop up windows... I think that all your site links should open in the main window.. things under DISPLAY YOUR ADERTISMENT ON LOOKUPTHIS should open in the main window for example.

May need more work for this to happen

The last comment is that when asking for a critique it may help to give a clickable link. :)
http://www.lookupthis.com

wildjokerdesign
01-29-2006, 04:48 PM
You move fast. :) Looking good. At the moment I am being directed to the signin.asp when I visit the main domain. Could be your just working on things at the moment but I don't see a way to use the service without signing up and logging in. That is not intentional is it?

I do understand the Make Money concept and even being able to add your own affiliate id for say Adsense. I kind of caught that on the first run through but was not completely clear. Part of that is due to the fact that like most users I was not paying close enough attention and skimming things.

One of the hardest things I find to do is makeing sure the user "sees" the information I am provideing them. The signin page I am now seeing is beginning to do a good job of this since it highlight things you you can do and explains them.

I'll let you play with things for a couple days then check back and see how things are going. I do think you have a good idea going and that it can take hold but it may take some time and refinement.

wildjokerdesign
01-29-2006, 04:51 PM
One more thing. I like your logo alot but on my computer it is a bit "messy". Anyway you can clean it up some? I hope you know I really am trying to give you honest feedback and not just dogging you. You can tell me to shut up and any time. :)