PDA

View Full Version : What is vdsbackup?

jim
01-26-2006, 08:53 AM
I am trying to make a local backup of my website. The vdsbackup folder seems to have been added by Westhost. It contains files with the same name but different case. This works fine on Unix but not on Windows. It's jamming my backup. What happens if I delete it?

wildjokerdesign
01-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Well there should be more then just that in that directory. It should have the files used to back up your site via the SiteManager I think. How are you backing up your site? I don't think it would be a good idea to delete it. It is owned by Root although the group is set to you so it should be possible to remove it I think but the fact that it is owned by Root means it is a file the is used by the system and removeing it may cause you some headaches. Have you asked WH tech?

jim
01-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your reply.

No, I haven't checked with WH yet. I thought I'd try here first.

I'm not sure what you mean by

> there should be more then just that in that directory.

I just gave the directory name, not a list of contents. The problem is files in it that have the same filename with different case.

wildjokerdesign
01-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Ahh now I think I see what you mean about same names in upper and lower.... the image files.... is that what you mean? The files in the vdsbackup direcotory are simply used for the back up utility that WestHost provides for you to use via the SiteManager. I don't use it I simply go in via SSH and zip up what ever I want and download it. If you are like me or use some other method of backing up your site then I would seen no reason you would need those files. The only thing is that it is always possible that they would be restored by WH or that some other part of the whole set up would need to be able to see that they where there.

I would ask West Host. :)

wildjokerdesign
01-26-2006, 10:29 AM
I have included the directory when I have done full zips of my /var/www/html direcotry and never had it cause a problem. Where do you hit the snag? Does it happen when you try to unzip the backup on your local machine? If that is the case then you should be able to exclude those duplicates via your unzip program on your local machine.

wildjokerdesign
01-26-2006, 10:34 AM
I just did a test backup useing the WestHost provided VDS back up and the only file it actully backed up in the vdsbackup directory was the .htacess file

jim
01-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Sorry to just now be replying. I am not getting email notices of replies. Seems like that used to happen automatically.

I am trying to backup by having FrontPage "publish" the live web to a directory on my local drive.

wildjokerdesign
01-30-2006, 10:35 AM
If you can not somehow exclude it when you are doing your back up then I guess you could try to re-name the files that are causeing the problem. Like I mentioned that directory is the "program" that the SiteManager uses to back up your site.

jim
01-31-2006, 07:16 AM
WH fixed that problem. Now FrontPage is gagging on a file in my main directory named "manager.html." This zero byte file cannot be downloaded even using my FTP utility.

wildjokerdesign
01-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Well I was going to tell you to delete it but I just checked and it seems to be owned by root. That may be something new. I was sure I had removed it from accounts in the past. I guess this one is going to take WH intervention also.

TAiN
06-11-2006, 08:12 PM
*bump*
Can someone from WestHost please address these questions?

Thanks!

wildjokerdesign
06-11-2006, 09:21 PM
What is it specifically you want them to address? Are you haveing the same problem? WestHost does not normally use the forums as a formal venue for answering questions but leaves it to use the users to discuss things we have learned or discovered. From time to time an employee will stop in but it is not formal.

Is it the back up directory you are haveing a problem with or the manager.html file? Perhaps Jim will have some feedback on how this was resolved for him.

TAiN
06-12-2006, 05:05 AM
I would like them to tell us whether or not it is safe to delete them. If it isn't, why not?

wildjokerdesign
06-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Well you can't delete the vdsbackup directory. It is owned by root. I have deleted the manager.html page that Jim mentioned in the public root file on many of my accounts with no effect to the system that I have seen. On older accounts I don't think you can delete it since it seems to be owned by root.

WestHost - SHales
06-12-2006, 02:23 PM
The manager.html file in your web root directory is placed there by the VPS software itself. However it is not a necessary file for your VPS to run properly. You can do what you like with this file, whether it be deleting it, replacing it, or simply leaving it alone.