PDA

View Full Version : SSH users

itmustang
01-05-2006, 03:28 AM
It would be very usefull for me, and probably for others, to have more users to logon on a virtual server.

Do you plan to include this feature on future releases of your virtual server?

If anyone thinks this would be interesting, please append a note to this thread.

Thank you

jalal
01-05-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm not sure how it would work. I could just give my login and password to someone else if I wanted to give them access to the site. Setting up a new user to do the same seems like more work.

Or do you have something else in mind?

itmustang
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes, I meant an additional user because we need to share the same files but we also need to track the activity of eachone.

And yes, it is more work but it is what I need.
Obviously I see it as an add-on so I intend to pay to add it to my hosting package. Like Additional Domains, Dedicated IP, Custom Nameserver Aliases...

jalal
01-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Ah I see.

I suspect it would be difficult as the actual SSH daemon runs outside of the VPS. Still, we can hope. :-)

itmustang
01-07-2006, 03:59 AM
So should be created a new user ouyside the VPS but "related" to it. Likewise it already works with my main user.

What the VPS technology is built on? Is it a westhost propetary technology or is it based on VMWare, or some third party software?

jalal
01-07-2006, 10:35 AM
It's based on Sphera, a reasonably well knowny Virtual Server software maker.

itmustang
01-07-2006, 02:45 PM
I didn't know it http://forums.west-datacenter.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=30109#
Sad, and I have been really impressed.

Anyway, is this the place to write to if I'd like to ask for a feature?
I mean, do you know if the Westhost guys read this forum to plan the future add-ons offering?

Thank you very much Jalal, you have been very kind.

jalal
01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
The forum is not really the place to connect with WH. They do pass by occasionally and collect ideas, but mostly it is for clients of WH to exchange ideas and sometimes whinge a bit... :)

Best to contact them directly.

jponiato
01-16-2007, 10:23 AM
SSH for my secondary users might be nice, but I'd really like scp, rsync, or sftp instead of ftp (for security reasons).

corvus
01-16-2007, 12:27 PM
I thought about this issue but decided not play with it. My thought was to install GCC and then build ssh from scratch, you would run it on a different port. It would be on the VPS which should allow it to read your /etc/password for users.

I stopped because I thought that all the users would have to have the same uid though. Since the ssh process couldn't be running as root, it couldn't perform the uid change needed. This wouldn't allow for any security since all the files in your VPS are owned by your VPS user.

The other way to accomplish the exact same thing as above would be to use ssh keys for users. The keys would need to go in /.ssh/authorized_keys. If you don't have keys already, the puttygen program will allow you to generate keys on windows systems.

You'd still have the same issues where you couldn't track user activity and each user would have full access to the entire system.