PDA

View Full Version : Installing HTML::Tidy

FP1
12-28-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm trying to install the HTML::Tidy perl module from cpan. It requires libtidy to be installed first. I tried installing libtidy but I get errors when I do "make install" because it is trying to write to directories that it says I do not have access to. How can I install this? Thanks,

Eric

jalal
12-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Well, in short, by installing to directories that you *do* have access to. When you do the configure stage of the build, you can usually specify a prefix to install into, you may want to try installing into /usr/local for instance.

e.g.:
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

HTH
8)

FP1
12-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks, when I try

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

I get the error

sh: ./configure: No such file or directory

Any ideas? Thanks,

Eric

jalal
12-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Ah... :(

Well, many applications install by using the 'autotools three step', which is the three steps that I outlined above. Some apps don't though, and libtidy looks to be one of those. Here is what you can try:

1. Look for a file called INSTALL which may give you instructions on installing to a different directory.
2. Look for a file called README which... ditto.
3. Look for a file called Makefile. Open it in an editor, find the installation paths and change them to point somewhere else.

If 3. doesn't make sense to you, then don't attempt it!

cheers

FP1
12-28-2005, 03:17 PM
The installation instructions say to install using "gmake" but when I type "gmake" it says "command not found." Could this be a problem?

Thanks,
Eric

jalal
12-29-2005, 01:21 AM
No. On WH systems 'make' and 'gmake' are the same.