PDA

View Full Version : [Tip]How to access Site Manager when your site is down.

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Well here is the scnerio folks. You are working with your Site Manager trying to upgrade a program via Site Applications and for some reason the upgrade goes wrong and you end up with your site down due to the fact that Apache did not restart. This means that you are not going to get back to your Site Manager if you have closed the window you where first working in since access is through your site. It will also not be available via the main members area since that simply re-directs you to your domain.

Here are a couple things you can try to get your site back up and running.

$ restart
$ apachectl start
It might be that the first command will not work and you will need to then try the second one.

If by chance you are a re-seller and it is one of the accounts under your main account you can log into your Re-seller Manager and access the Site Manager for an account via the interface there since it bypasses the normal user log in that is in the /manager directory of the domain.

This may not get you back up and running fully but is a start. The reason I am posting this is because I was just trying to upgrade to php5 and for some reason there was a "glitch" in the process. I was able to get Apache restarted although php is still not working although the Site Manager is showing the php5 is installed.

I am pretty sure that if I where to un-install php5 and try for a new install I would be back up and running but since I have submitted a ticket I want them to be able to see the current status of things in case it helps them troubleshoot the overall problem for the future. I have the advantage that on the site this is happening I can afford to have a bit of down time but you may not so you may then want to try un-installing what you think may be the problem Site App and installing again.

Hopefully this will help someone trouble shoot things if they find themselves in the same situation as I am in. :)