PDA

View Full Version : DNS problems with WH

firebirdfan
12-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I've been receiving a few complaints from my clients and me personally experiencing it. There seems to be some glitch in the DNS with WH ? Are you guys experiencing the same thing intermittently ?
BUt with regards to this, I would like to know why did webmasterworld.com move from WH to another host..i heard somewhat it was also related to this problem ? Any insights ?

howard
12-06-2005, 09:03 AM
During the Chicago-area outage mid to late October, WMW was down. During that time, they posted temporarily at searchengineworld.com. On that site, sitll hosted at WestHost, there is a long thread, some 34 pages, which chronicles what happened. http://www.searchengineworld.com/forum911/1.htm

Essentially, it seems the DNS outage problem prompted the move. It looks like some Westhost-I accounts were affected as well.

firebirdfan
12-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks Howard for the info..however my ISP sure has connection problems to in particular to my main domain - really pain in the ass i must say..

paperweight
12-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Me too! I have been complaning about this to WH for a couple months too!!! I am in Asia and many of my clients can't access their sites (and have since left me--I am a reseller). In addition, one client in Australia and another in Hong Kong can't access WH for the last couple of months too by sending us email--it always returns that server can't be found in DNS lookup. We have investigated it on our end and the clients' ends and it seems soley on WH DNS front. I have repeatedly brought this to WH attention but have never gotten straight answers--they are unable to assist.

I've been a client for over 6 years, but since the Fall I have had a sneaking suspicion that maybe WH is undergoing some internal financial/HR changes, because I have seen some sloppy tech work, slow responses, etc.--things I have only seen since WH screwed themselves a couple years ago on the 1.0-20.0 shiftover.

The folks at WH are infinitely patient and nice, but problems are brewing that are not being fixed.

jalal
12-18-2005, 05:31 AM
How do you reach the conclusion that it is WH's fault?
Surely the problem is in Asia?

One solution is to use another DNS provider, something like easyDNS or similar, that allows you full control over your DNS entries.

Also, check your records through dnsreport.com and make sure they come through clean.

There are many tools (nslookup, dig, sam spade, dnsstuff.com) for tracking down the where the error lies. I'll be surprised if it is in WH's setup.

HTH

paperweight
12-18-2005, 05:58 AM
Good point and we looked into all that and used many of the tools at dnstuff, dnsreport, etc. to try to track down the problem.

DNS problems to contacting WH from places in Singapore, China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan have been sporadic over the last 6 years, but they remain. However usually connecting with WH is not a problem--if it was a major major problem, I would still not be a user. However the tims that it is problematic, it's a pain in the butt--I have dedicated servers at two other places in USA and never have these problems.

It's true that often the problems lie somewhere in between the user and WH--at least 3 times in the last 4 years undersea Pacific cables have been cut blocking almost all traffic to N.America from Asia (traffic of course was always rerouted through Europe, but pipes weren't so big to handle the incredibly large amount of new trafffic and so traffic stopped).

There have also been hiccups on WH's side with how they internally cache DNS records, causing old sites to reappear and/or DNS to point to old locations of sites at WH--these are problems WH knows about and have fixed and have happened at last twice in the last 12 months with some of my reseller accounts.

port80
08-09-2006, 06:08 AM
During the Chicago-area outage mid to late October, WMW was down. During that time, they posted temporarily at searchengineworld.com. On that site, sitll hosted at WestHost, there is a long thread, some 34 pages, which chronicles what happened. http://www.searchengineworld.com/forum911/1.htm

Essentially, it seems the DNS outage problem prompted the move. It looks like some Westhost-I accounts were affected as well.

Does anyone happen to have the above mentioned article (http://www.searchengineworld.com/forum911/1.htm) either mirrored or saved as a local copy to their PC hard drive?

It seems it is no longer there and to my dismay, it does not exist on archive.org.

I am greatly interested in reading this article if anyone can help. Thanks.
-Mike

howard
08-09-2006, 07:24 AM
port80- Yes, it looks like you get redirected to their sign-up page. The "article" was a forum post thread which spanned over 30 pages. I doubt if anyone saved it anywhere. Perhaps those paid members of wmw have access, I don't know. -Howard

cervanli
02-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I recently entered a trouble ticket for the very same problem. I have a number of potential client unable to access my site. Has anyone have any positive response in regrads to this? I see the thread a bit old. Has there been any progress?

schapel
02-09-2007, 09:15 AM
I recently entered a trouble ticket for the very same problem. I have a number of potential client unable to access my site. Has anyone have any positive response in regrads to this? I see the thread a bit old. Has there been any progress?
This may have been due to the attacks on the DNS root servers: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/06/2238225