PDA

View Full Version : Get back what you thought you lost

SJP
11-10-2005, 03:28 AM
I found a great website that is an archive of everything on the net. In my case I had written some javascript menu code and subsequently ditched it in favor of not relying on javascript at all. I'm sure I saved it on floppy, but I don't have a floppy on this newer computer so a lot of good that did me :-(

I was able to see how my website looked and operated several years back (2003). By looking at the source of the archived pages I was able to determine the URL of where old copies of javascript code were kept and download them. Saved me a ton of time and agony as I am sure you can imagine. Programming is kind of like staying in shape. Ease off too long and getting back up to speed can be a drag.

The address is: http://www.archive.org/

So if you ever wanted to turn back the clock...

SJP

wildjokerdesign
11-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Wow that is pretty cool. I had forgot about some of the things I had done in the past. Some are even a bit embarresing. :)

howard
11-14-2005, 09:04 AM
The WayBack Machine has been around for a while.

For those who may be worried about poor choices in web design coming back to haunt them, if I remember correctly, they will remove a website from their archive upon the owner's request. I do not believe they will remove individual files, only the entire site.

They also archive music and images. All the more proof that, once it's on the web, it never leaves!