PDA

View Full Version : osCommerce help

neophyte
10-13-2005, 11:46 AM
I recently installed osCommerce . I used the admin function to set up the shopping cart and all was going well. I began to modify some of the pages using file manager in an attempt to change what was listed in the Information box. Now I am unable to bring up the catalog for the site. Nothing shows up. I have undone everything I did. I am very unfamiliar with PHP. What can I do to restore the site? Can I upload only select files like index.php or must I upload osCommerce all over again? I have made a backup of the database. Help.

wildjokerdesign
10-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Do you remember the pages/files that you where modifying with File Manager? If you do then upload backups of those files and see if that fixes the problem. I would suggest not useing File Manager to edit php files. There is a program called EditPlus that you can find by Goggleing the name that you can download for editing php files and such. It will work fine with your php files and has the added benifit of showing the line numbers which often instructions on modifying php files have. It well also color code the text if it is a php file which makes it easier to see.

rispku
10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I agree with WildJoker: don't use osC's file manager to edit your store files. It's convenient to have a built in editor that lists the files, yes, but it's a bit difficult to do any hefty modifications in the small textarea/field provided. Coupled with the limited formatting, and no code-coloring it's really not all that useful for anything other than really small modifications.

To answer your question, assuming the files you changed don't contain store settings, you can replace the files with the ones that you have on your computer.

If the files contain store specific data and settings, like the configure.php file, then you should download the file and try to repair it. Look for syntax errors and misplaced or "un-escaped" (\) quotation marks (") and apostrophies ('). Don't overwrite the files on the server! Renaming them and uploading the newly modified versions is best. This way you'll still have the original (albeit bad) version some place if you mess anything up further.

Worst case scenario is that you'll have to re-install osCommerce anyway.

Good luck!

jalal
10-14-2005, 01:11 AM
But, just to clarify Ripsku... if you re-install osCommerce you should be able to keep the database and make use of the same configure.php files that you had (two config files if I remember, one in catalog, the other in admin). All other files can be re-uploaded.