PDA

View Full Version : separate password on subdomain?

mmaziarz
10-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi-
I'm trying to give a friend access to a subdomain I've created for him, but I would rather not give him my password that would allow him access to all of my sites. Is there a way I can put a different password on his folder? I looked in the forums, but I couldn't find anything--I would appreciate a link if I missed something.

Thanks!

mark maziarz
park city, utah

MitchellSTL
10-12-2005, 11:28 AM
1) create a new .htpasswd with only the authorized id's you want
2) point your .htaccess file to use your .htpasswd file

MitchellSTL
10-12-2005, 11:41 AM
.htaccess file inside the directory to protect

AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/directory/.htpasswd
require valid-user

.htpasswd file (can be stored anywhere, just be sure to change the AuthUserFile location

user1:encryptedpassword
user2:encryptedpassword
user3:encryptedpassword

the format is ID:MD5 encrypted password

For further instructions, see http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/htaccess.htm or if you can't access ssh, you can create each line at http://www.4webhelp.net/us/password.php.

Can be done with either the file manager or SSH. At my work, they block SSH access, so I have to use the latter method with FileManager (an extra step or two is needed, but it works). Any other questions, just ask.

wildjokerdesign
10-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Anouther solution in this case if you want the person to have FTP access to the subdomain would be to set up a user via the email interface. When you do this you can give them FTP access and set the directory that they have that access to. You would set the directory to the same one you have the sub domain in.

What MithcellSTL describes above would only restrict access via the browser and not FTP.

MitchellSTL
10-21-2005, 09:12 PM
See what happens when you read someone's post too quickly??? Once I reread the post, I read the post incorrectly....whoops... =)