PDA

View Full Version : Domain cancellation?

harpper
07-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I have a domain registered through WestHost but I no longer want it. Do I have to officially cancel it through WestHost or just wait until it expires? WestHost sent me an email stating, "additional fees that will be incurred if the name goes into the REDEMPTION STATUS".

I would rather avoid any additional fees since I no longer want my domain. Please let me know the proper way to cancel my domain address.

WestHost - ZEsser
07-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Harpper,

If you no longer want the domain name, you can simply let the domain name registration expire. You will, however, need to cancel the hosting for the domain name if you have an account with us.

On the basic level, a domain name essentially has 4 stages: Active/Expired/Redemption/Pending Delete. If the domain name is expired and enters into redemption, there are typically additional fees imposed by the registry to retrieve the domain name and renew it. As such, it's a good idea to make certain you aren't going to use a domain name.

If you do nothing, the domain name will expire and become available again for public registration.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.