PDA

View Full Version : phpBB notice upgrade is not clear

xyster
07-19-2005, 08:14 PM
I just received an e-mail from WestHost saying I need to upgrade phpBB to 2.0.16 because I have 2.0.15 installed.
The instructions say to simply use Site Manager->Site Applications->Community->phpBB 2.0.16 to install the upgrade.

Except that phpBB 2.0.16 is nowhere to be found!
It shows the installed 2.0.15 but not 2.0.16, what gives?

Thanks,

xyster

WestHost - ZEsser
07-20-2005, 07:13 AM
xyster,

Can you PM me your domain name please? I'll have our support take a look and fix the problem if the application is not there.

Also, if anyone else does not have the upgrade available in their Site Applications, feel free to PM me, or contact our support department.

Thanks.

xyster
07-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Thank You.

yourinternetradio
09-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi, I'm a new guy here. I have a question about phpBB upgrades.

I recently migrated my site and phpBB from my old webhost to westhost, and I am very pleased. I installed the latest phpBB upgrade (v. 2.0.21) and I have a very heavily modifed forum.

With all my mods in place, my concern (and desire) is that all phpBB upgrades be left to me to do, rather than having westhost apply them for me. I don't want to wake up one fine day to find that my mods are gone.

The initial post in this thread indicates that westhost merely sends an email to those who need to upgrade, and then the upgrade is left to the customer to do. Is that the standard operating procedure here? I sure hope so!

Thanks!

wildjokerdesign
09-22-2006, 07:55 AM
This thread was initially started when phpBB had a very serious security issue and folks where not upgrading their boards. Because of this WestHost sent out notices to those who had not upgraded that they needed to.

Normally WestHost does not send out such email notices but the upgrade simply becomes available in the Site Apps area of the Site Manager. They never apply the upgrade universally. It takes action on your part. Even if you have installed it via the Site Manager to start out with you do not have to use the upgrade via the Site Manager if you do not what to. In fact if your board is heavily modded I would suggest not using the WestHost supplied upgrade. Instead upgrade manually using the suggested methods you find on the phpBB site.

I doubt that if you stay with the 2.0+ version of phpBB that you will have to do this any time soon. The next version of phpBB is 3.0 or the Olympus version and it is very different from 2.0. If you decide to move to that version it might be a bit of a nightmare at first since many mods for 2.0 will not work.

yourinternetradio
09-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the quick and informative response. And thanks for giving me the response that I wanted to hear. :)

I always do my upgrading manually via releases at the phpBB site, so I won't be using the westhost-supplied phpBB upgrades. Not sure if and when I will make the move to version 3, though.

All I want is for the upgrading to be left to me to do, and so it is. Beautiful!

Thanks again for the info and the reassurance!