PDA

View Full Version : New Perl at WestHost: Perl vs. ActiveState Perl?

WestHost - TErnstrom
07-19-2005, 03:12 PM
WestHost Clients,

We will be starting development on a new version of Perl soon. The version currently in Site Manager is outdated. Updating it will allow us to release newer versions of other Site Applications that depend on Perl.

We are considering using ActiveState Perl, but would like your feedback!
- Do you have a preference between Perl and ActiveState Perl?
- What Pros/Cons do you see?

Additionally, we'd like to know what CPan modules you'd like to see. Are there any you wish you'd had in the current version? Which would be most beneficial to you?

Please understand that a release date for Perl has not yet been established, we are simply seeking feedback now. Your comments and suggestions will help us to provide Perl in a way that would be best for you.

Thanks for your Feedback!

Tom Howard
07-19-2005, 07:42 PM
ActiveState Perl (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/)

For reference ;)

Adarkts
07-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Whichever will work with the latest version of SpamAssassin.

Corrado Fiore
07-29-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi Tina,

glad you asked. I have no particular preference between the two versions.

About CPAN modules, I would like to have the following ones installed by default:

Net::DNS::Resolver::UNIX
Time::HiRes
Digest::SHA1
MIME::Base64
Test::Simple
Test::Harness
Getopt::Long
File::Copy
URI::Escape

As you may have already noticed, the above modules are required to install SpamAssassin + RTBL and Razor, which I consider as the minimum protection required today. BTW, I would really like to have a 1-click install of both a recent version of SA and Razor.

Cheers,
Corrado

MitchellSTL
08-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I'll agree with Adarkts -- whatever it takes to get us on a current version of spam assassin. =)

Off the top of my head, I would need Net::SSLeay

cbandes
08-11-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't care what version it is as long as it works with a trainable version of SpamAssassin. It was disappointing to learn that although spamassassin is advertised as a feature, it isn't actually provided in a working version :(

Please hurry!

dansroka
08-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Yes please, we need an update to Spam Assassin. The current one catches barely anything anymore.

lobstershell
08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Storable
DBI and DBD::mysql

I hope those aren't too obvious, but just in case.

I also third/fourth/fifth the SpamAssassin request.

WestHost - TErnstrom
08-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback.
We have made the decision to go ahead with the standard Perl release, in addition to a fairly extensive list of modules.

The latest version of Spam Assassin will be heading into Development next week, and will be released at the same time as Perl. Additionally, over 7 other Perl-dependent applications will receive upgrades and/or modifications to enable them to work with Perl 5.8.7.

Due to the extensive nature of this project we do not yet have an official release date, but expect to have a better idea by the end of this month. Due to the high demand for, and the sensitive nature of Perl and SpamAssassin, we are also considering the implementation of a beta-test period prior to release. Again, please check back here at the end of this month for additional information on that subject.

Thanks again for all of your feedback!

cbandes
08-16-2005, 09:02 AM
That's great news, thanks for the update.

We're all eager to get our hands on the new version :)

SJP
08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
So naturally having Perl programs I am curious why SpamAssassin would not work out of the box with Perl 5.8.7. Are there any glaring differences I or anyone else that wrote programs to operate under 5.6 should be aware of? I read some writeup explaining what was different and didn't think I was affected, but if you know something I don't then please share.

thanks, SJP

WestHost - TErnstrom
08-18-2005, 08:22 AM
SJP,

As a bit of clarification. It is not an issue of whether or not SpamAssassin will work with Perl 5.8.7 out of the box (at least not from WestHost's perspective). The development time includes an installation wrapper to allow install from Site Manager, a configuration to get everything working in our VPS environment, and a UI for modifying SpamAssassin configurations.
Perl is very backwards compatible, so you should have few, if any, issues with your programs under Perl 5.8.7. Still, it is always recommended that you test all of your Perl Scripts to ensure that everything is working as expected.
(You may also want to keep your eyes open for that Beta period, it will give you a chance to test your scripts with Perl 5.8.7 before going live).

Hope this provides the needed clarification.

cbandes
08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi Tina,

I don't know about the majority of your customers, but from my point of view, since we have terminal access to our own accounts, the important thing is just to make these things available and installable (currently perl 5.8.7 installs die about 2/3 of the way through.) I don't need a site admin panel for spamassassin if it would mean having to wait months for it.

pumba
08-25-2005, 09:46 AM
fresh version of DBI
Class::DBI
CGI::Application
HTML::FIllInForm
Data::FormValidator
CGI::Application::Plugin::ValidateRM

WestHost - TErnstrom
08-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Please see the following thread if you are interested in Beta Testing:
http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?p=28731#post28731

Thanks!

Symbha
01-25-2006, 06:40 PM
I would like to be able to run (sick of getting timed out in the middle of a mail message, it has auto draft-save support.):
http://openwebmail.org/

Taken from their readme:
Apache web server with cgi enabled
Perl 5.005 or above

CGI.pm-3.05.tar.gz (required)
MIME-Base64-3.01.tar.gz (required)
libnet-1.19.tar.gz (required)
Digest-1.08.tar.gz (required)
Digest-MD5-2.33.tar.gz (required)
Text-Iconv-1.2.tar.gz (required)
libiconv-1.9.1.tar.gz (required if system doesn't support iconv)

CGI-SpeedyCGI-2.22.tar.gz (optional but highly recommended, for persistent running)
Compress-Zlib-1.33.tar.gz (optional, for HTTP compression)
ispell-3.1.20.tar.gz (optional, for spellcheck)
Quota-1.4.10.tar.gz (optional, for unixfs quota support)
Authen-PAM-0.14.tar.gz (optional, for auth_pam support)
openssl-0.9.7d.tar.gz (optional, for pop3 over SSL support,
required only if system doesn't support libssl)
Net_SSLeay.pm-1.25.tar.gz (optional, for pop3 over SSL support)
IO-Socket-SSL-0.96.tar.gz (optional, for pop3 over SSL support)
clamav-0.70.tar.gz (optional, for viruscheck,
available at http://www.clamav.net)
Mail-SpamAssassin-3.02.tar.gz (optional, for spamcheck,
available at http://www.spamassassin.org)
antiword-0.35.tar.gz (optional, for msword preview)
ImageMagick-5.5.3.tar.gz (optional, for thumbnail support in webdisk)
tnef-1.2.3.1.tar.gz (optional, tnef is used mostly by mails from MS Outlook and Exchange)
wget-1.9.1.tar.gz (optional, for URL uploading support in webdisk & msg composing)
lsof_4.73A.freebsd.tar.bz2 (optional, for openwebmail-tool --unlock)

Thanks!