PDA

View Full Version : Troll on the loose...

wildjokerdesign
07-02-2005, 11:32 AM
You many have noticed that there is, as jalal put it, a "troll" on the loose. :) WestHost has been informed of this just so eveyone knows.

whadmin
07-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Hello,

Yes, we have had problems with people posting on these forums claiming that WestHost supports Terrorism because of a site that we hosted.

Just to set the record straight, I would like to explain why this is happening. In March of 2004, we were contacted by the Department of Homeland Security concerning a site we host that was possibly supporting terrorism. They provided a court order to obtain the logs from that site, and for over a year we have supplied that information along with anything else we had that could help in their investigation.

The site started gaining some notoriety when news stories began popping up mentioning them in particular and consequently, we started getting many angry people contacting us to take the site down right away (which was understandable if you didn't know the circumstances).

Because of our involvement in this investigation, we were not able to tell anyone why we allowed the site to remain on our servers. It was very frustrating to only be able to tell these people that we were aware of the problem, but we were not going to do anything about it (because from their end, it looked like we were fine with that sort of site on our servers, which is clearly not true and even covered in our policies that everyone agrees to when they sign up).

With over a years worth of logs and information from us, we feel that WestHost's role in the investigation is complete and we have disabled the account. We appreciate the concern and the support for our troops that was evident with every person that contacted us about this site, we feel just as strongly about this matter.

-WestHost Inc.

wildjokerdesign
07-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Thank you for your response to this matter. I truly did not expect it since as you stated in your post we are not always aware of the circumstances that may surround a problem or situation.

dvduval
07-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Wow, and thank you for the care you took in the matter. I have always respected the way WestHost handles their business through good and bad times.