PDA

View Full Version : Image Magick problem

chrysli
06-23-2005, 07:17 PM
I installed movable type on my site. I asked for Image Magick to be installed and it is installed, but I still haven't been able to successfully use it :(

When I try to upload an image and ask for a thumbnail to be made I get an internal server error. I looked at my error log and I found this:
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/local/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so: undefined symbol: perl_get_sv

can anyone help? I know image magick is not yet supported by westhost, so i figure i would ask in the forum hoping someone got it to work. I would appreciate any help. thanks. chrys

Jonnyb0y
06-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Hmm.. that doesn't look very pleasant. Let me have them install it on my account so I can see what might be going on.

chrysli
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi Jonnyb0y, did you get anything? Thanks for looking into this. It would be a great help! Let me know when you can.

chrys

Jonnyb0y
07-03-2005, 03:48 PM
I have gotten around this in my own account and I'll tell you-- it isn't a pretty task. You'll need to manually compile a bunch of stuff into your VPS to make it work correctly-- in short: the normal way of installing things on Linux.

I would start by requesting to have technical support install GD2 in your account. I believe that GD2 and ImageMagick share FreeType as a dependency and so we can use this to start toward getting it going correctly. I know that the GD2 install they have now has been recently improved quite a bit, so if you've had this done already then make a ticket and request it again.

I've got to run right now, but when I get a chance I'll take a look again at what I did and post back. Should I seem to disappear again it probably means I got my head stuck in the clouds. Another quick follow post should get my attention ;)

chrysli
07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi Jonnyb0y, always good to hear from you :) I just put in a request today for the GD2 install. It would be great to get this working. I hope it's not as scary as you made it sound!

I've worked with Linux a bit, which might come in handy. When you get a chance then, let me know what else I need, or I'll come back here when my request is completed and do another post to see if you have some time.

Thanks again for your time!

Chrys

Jonnyb0y
07-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Alright, now that you have GD2 installed type the following commands via SSH. I'm pretty sure I don't have any typos so you should be fine to cut and paste them.

$ echo "/usr/local/gd2/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
$ echo "/usr/local/freetype2/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
$ ldconfig 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
$ cd /usr/local/
$ mv ImageMagick ImageMagick.evil
$ cd
$ mkdir src
$ cd src
$ wget http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/imagemagick/ImageMagick-6.2.3-3.tar.bz2
$ tar -xjf ImageMagick-6.2.3-3.tar.bz2
$ cd ImageMagick-6.2.3
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ImageMagick
$ perl -i -pe 's#^CPPFLAGS = -I.*$#CPPFLAGS = -I/usr/local/freetype2/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include/libxml2#' Makefile
$ make
$ make install
$ echo -e "\033[1;36mo\033[0;36mh \033[1;35my\033[0;35ma\033[1;30m! \033[1;34m:\033[1;31m)"

And that should do it! Be sure to let me know how it does.

chrysli
07-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Jonnyb0y, you're absolutely the best! It works great now. Thank you sooooo much for the help and for being so nice. I really appreciate it.

Chrys

ebrooks
07-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I am trying to get Gallery to run and it cannot create the thumnails using ImageMagick. Maybe this(above) is my problem? I dunno if I'm up to all the kung fu you guys have used though to get it working. I just wanna use Gallery. Do you know if they've an easier fix in the meantime?

torrin
07-25-2005, 07:35 AM
Do you know if they've an easier fix in the meantime?

This might not be an easier fix, but this is how I got it to work. I decided to download netpbm from the gallery website and copy the executables to the path. Then reconfigure gallery to use netpbm instead of imagemagick.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gallery/netpbm_gallery-1.4-pl2-linux-intel.zip?download

ebrooks
07-27-2005, 04:43 AM
My goal is to get Gallery to work. I tried the netpbm suggestion but Gallery's check_netpbm.php shows error 127 on all but 2 of the binaries. Westhost has just upgraded me to website 2.0; I'm hoping this will help. But to be honest, I am getting frustrated. I will look again tonight to see if I can get Gallery to work. Oh and Westhost wants to charge me money for installing the GD2. It's all a bit twisted. To get Gallery to work I have to fix ImageMagick but to fix Imagemagick I have to pay Westhost to install GD2. What's up with that?

chrysli
08-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi ebrooks, as you can see I'm a Junior member, so I can't offer you too much help, aside from telling you that my stuff works well now. I'm using movable type though, so there might be other issues. The fix I ran with the help of Jonnyb0y was actually much simpler than you think. Another thing I can tell you is that I didn't get charged for GD2 installation, so I don't know what the deal is. I do know I had someone else request the install on a different account so I could fix the imagemagick problem and they were told that westhost only supports GD1 and cannot install GD2. Maybe you should give them a call and see what the deal is. Good luck

Jonnyb0y
08-14-2005, 11:04 AM
ebrooks,

You shouldn't have to be charged to get GD2 installed. If you haven't fixed this already give 'em another shout and see if the second time is the charm. If you run into any problems let me know and I'll conjure up a script that will automatically install it for you without you having to do anything but run the script.

rick4adk
09-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I would start by requesting to have technical support install GD2 in your account. I believe that GD2 and ImageMagick share FreeType as a dependency and so we can use this to start toward getting it going correctly. I know that the GD2 install they have now has been recently improved quite a bit, so if you've had this done already then make a ticket and request it again.

I asked for GD2 yesterday but have been told that I cannot have it at this time.

I am not attempting to do anything bizarre -- I would just like to be able to run Gallery.

:(

wildjokerdesign
09-13-2005, 03:38 PM
I asked for GD2 yesterday but have been told that I cannot have it at this time.

I am not attempting to do anything bizarre -- I would just like to be able to run Gallery.

:(

Well it is possilble since they are getting close to comeing out with the upgrade of many things that are involved with this they may not be doing custom installs of it. That really makes sense if you think about it. I don't think it will be too much longer since they are asking for beta testers.

AWCdesigner
01-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I am having the same problem: thumbnails are not being generated by Gallery or ImageMagick. I've installed both via SiteManager and have a working gallery, just no thumbnails.

When I go into Gallery's Admin > Album > Edit Album, and attempt to set the size of the thumbnail, I get a blank screen. When I'm viewing a photo in Gallery, and click Edit Photo, under "Thumbnail" it tells me "There are no graphics toolkits enabled that support this type of item, so we cannot create or modify a thumbnail." But I promise I have ImageMagick installed!

I used Jonnyb0y's commands and was fine until this line --
$ mv ImageMagick ImageMagick.evil

-- when I got this error message:
mv: cannot stat `ImageMagick': No such file or directory

Any ideas? I am a graphic designer, not really a techie. So please speak sloooowly. ;) I have searched for more help on this and am finding none. Any help you can give will be much much much appreciated.

wildjokerdesign
01-11-2006, 08:05 AM
AWCdesinger,
I think your problem is within Gallery. Log in to Gallery as admin and go to the Administration area. Click on Modules and see if under Graphics Toolkits either GD or ImageMagick is showing as installed. It should have a green thumbs up depending on the theme you are useing. If you see a link under the Actions column of install it means that they have not been installed. Click install for either. You then have to click activate.

Let me know what you find. :)

AWCdesigner
01-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Wildjokerdesign, you are right on target. That worked. Thanks a million!

Just a note to say I'm not a *complete* moron (I hope) -- I had clicked on Modules before and got a blank screen, so I didn't think to look there again! But sure enough, this time, the options were there, just like you said.

I love how helpful and nice this community is. What a great way to learn from people. Thank you again, Wildjokerdesign!

wildjokerdesign
01-11-2006, 05:14 PM
I have gotten the blank screen on the module page a couple times on a new install (both manual and WH SM). Not sure what that is about. Gallery is pretty cool but can take some time to get used to. The setting up of permissions and how the flow down can be just a bit daunting. Still struggleing with that one a bit. :)

There is quite a bit of good info on the Gallery site itself but you have to take some time exploreing the different areas. I have a version of it set up on my local machine so I can play and experiment with it.