PDA

View Full Version : Nice new forums... one problem.

wildjokerdesign
06-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Nice change in the forums. Might take a bit to get used to the new setup but sure in time it'll become as familiar as the old.

I don't know if anyone else is haveing the porblem but I can not access some areas of my profile for editing like Avatar and option settings. I is returning the message that I do not have permissions for the area. It is letting me look at subscribe threads and such though.

EDIT: Actually there are some other areas I am haveing a problem with also like Memberlist and Calendar.

jalal
06-20-2005, 08:45 AM
I think they are still setting things up... give 'em time.

FZ
06-20-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm having the same access problems as Shawn (which don't occur if I try to access the affected pages without having logged in!)

I think the new look is cool, though I still prefer the more familiar phpBB look. Also, I think the main/center content column is too narrow (text wraps too much).

Other than that, it's nice to see that all the threads and users were maintained. A warning in advance (or a notice now) of the change would have been/would be nice.

WestHost - MStevenson
06-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Yes, we will get this fixed. We are still ironing out a few little bugs, please feel free to let us know if you notice anything else.

timecode
06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Personally, I like the vBulletin system. I have it on my own site. It can be made to look a lot slicker than it does at the moment though, but I guess they're still in the middle of the change over as I can't seem to access other parts of the forum.

WestHost - MStevenson
06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
For access problems, if you're still having them, try logging out and logging back in. You should be able to change your avatar and access the different areas now.

MitchellSTL
06-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Why the change?

WestHost - MStevenson
06-20-2005, 10:38 AM
PhpBB is a great software (that is what we were using before), but we had some complaints concerning some of the features (probably the biggest complaint was the search function on PhpBB, very weak). We are happy with this new forums software, it's very powerful and has lots of great features that the old forums did not have.

torrin
06-20-2005, 11:50 AM
It looks good. Nice work.

visible soul
06-20-2005, 08:51 PM
lol. I thought I was on the wrong site for a minute. Personally I consider vB an upgrade even though I use IPB myself. But honestly I've never hung out on a vB forum before so it will take me awhile to find everything...like clickable smilies :)

howard
06-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Like Visible Soul, I thought for a minute I was on the wrong forum!

Things I like about vBulletin:

I will appreciate a better search feature. yes. I appreciate the selection of email notifications: instant, daily, weekly, etc.. I also like the popup message detail on hovering over the thread, the front page login, the dropdown menus, etc., etc.. Amazing craftsmanship.

Things I will need to get used to:

I miss the "view unanswered posts" feature, and, for me, on dialup, vB is quite a bit slower to load all those features than was the less ambitious phpBB. Also, by default, the new vB has avatars disabled, which deletes any existing custom avatars that were on the old phpBB.

Shawn, why did you change your avatar? Your old one was my very favorite on any forum. And, BTW, how DO you add a custom avatar? I find no way to upload one on the "edit avatar" portion of my userCP.

Cheers,

Howard

wildjokerdesign
06-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Hi Howard,
I thought maybe it was time for a change in avatars. Figured if I didn't stick with a dragon it may throw folks off. It is one of the dragons from the Gallery as was the old one. I don't think WH ever let us upload our own avatars or at least when I checked the last time on the old phpBB they had not. It is something I asked for once but guess they did not want a bunch of image files uploaded to the server. Could also be they just missed it I didn't really make to big a deal of it. Maybe now with the new board they can allow it. As a rule I use an image of myself as my avatar so folks can get an idea of who I am. There is the Personal Image that you can upload on this board but think it only shows in the profile.

torrin
06-21-2005, 07:24 AM
. . . I miss the "view unanswered posts" feature . . .

That feature is still there, it's just a little harder to get at . . .

click "search"
change "find threads with" to "at most"
make sure "replies" is "0"
click "search now" at the bottom

. . . on dialup, vB is quite a bit slower to load all those features than was the less ambitious phpBB . . .

This one was a little bit harder to find, but if you click on the archive link at the bottom, you get all the data without all the formatting crap. Of course, it doesn't let you reply.

howard
06-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Shawn,

Well, they let me post my own avatar before. Now, the "do not use an avatar" radio button under "edit avatar" in the user CP is selected, and cannot be de-selected.

Edit: Perhaps they could allow a remotely hosted avatar. BTW, nice to see the old dragon avatar back up today Shawn. I missed him (her?).

Torrin,

Thanks for the "view unanswered posts" tip. That's under "advanced search," and it works well. I had already found the "archive" link. I'll get used to the slow loading.

Carry on,

Howard

wildjokerdesign
06-25-2005, 04:07 PM
I just noticed that my timezone setting did not make it in the transfer to the new forum. Everyone might want to go in to thier User CP and change it if the times seem off.

whadmin
06-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we enabled personal Avatars, so feel free to upload your favorite custom avatars now. Please let us know if you want to see other features enabled or added as we're always happy to see what we can do.

howard
06-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks whadmin.

Howard