PDA

View Full Version : Storefront/Display Tech Issues--Please Help!

Amy Louise
06-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Would someone please help my web designer and me with
info on the following tech issues for my site:
http://www.thewearwithall.com

I recently switched to OpenUI design and also have
purchased Display Pro Wizard. I tried posting this to the OpenUI forum, but no one replied.

1. What do we need to do to set it up so that the left
HTML stays open and showing when the shopping
catalogue opens (in addition to the Miva category tree
layout)?

2. How can we univerally place the phrase: "Click on
Thumbnails or Product Names to View Full-Size Photos"
somewhere obvious on each shopping cart page? Where
would we put this command?

3. Is it possible to move the "BUY" buttons showing
below each product over to the right (under the
"Quantity in Basket") or add space before the next
product so that it's clear which product these buttons
relate to? How and where would we change this? They
are confusing in their current location below the
products/just above the next listed product.

4. Once a customer looks at a category (from the tree
list on the left of the shopping cart pages), can we
set the category to darken so they know they've
already browsed there?
[NOTE: I put in a "visited link" color in the MIVA
admin, but it doesn't seem to have an effect on the
browser pages.]

5. How and where do we add a "Continue Shopping"
button to the checkout section both for the Buy One
Now and Add One to Basket so that they can go back and
forth anytime before they pay for their items?

Thank you kindly for any assistance you can provide. If this is not the proper forum to ask these questions, would someone please advise where I can go to find the answers.
Thank you,
Amy
http://www.thewearwithall.com
The Wear-with-All
Online Boutique
One-of-aKind, Handcrafted, Art-to-Wear Jewelry, Fine Knits & more...

rispku
07-04-2005, 10:18 AM
1. What do we need to do to set it up so that the left
HTML stays open and showing when the shopping
catalogue opens (in addition to the Miva category tree
layout)?

The category tree isn't displayed on the product list page(s) (screen=PLST) -- which is what you're linking to from your navigation bar. The product list is meant to be an ordered index of all of your products, and isn't used for categorical browsing, which is why the category tree isn't displayed.

That said, I'm fairly certain Display Wizard Pro can force Merchant to display the category tree on any screen, including the product list.

The page you're "supposed" to use when directing customers to your catalog, is the storefront page (/merchant.mvc or /merchant.mvc?screen=SFNT). I'm not sure why, but you seem to be using this page to thank people for their orders.

2. How can we univerally place the phrase: "Click on
Thumbnails or Product Names to View Full-Size Photos"
somewhere obvious on each shopping cart page? Where
would we put this command?

The only way that comes to mind is using the category headers and footers, but you'd have to edit each category individually.

3. Is it possible to move the "BUY" buttons showing
below each product over to the right (under the
"Quantity in Basket") or add space before the next
product so that it's clear which product these buttons
relate to? How and where would we change this? They
are confusing in their current location below the
products/just above the next listed product.

You would probably need a module to actually move the buttons to another location.

You could, on the other hand, remove the descriptions (this option is available in the respective category's 'Product Layout' tab). This should create some space between each product.

You also have the ability to either change the text on the buttons, or to replace them entirely with an image of your own. You could use either of these options to perhaps clarify which product the button belongs to.

4. Once a customer looks at a category (from the tree
list on the left of the shopping cart pages), can we
set the category to darken so they know they've
already browsed there?
[NOTE: I put in a "visited link" color in the MIVA
admin, but it doesn't seem to have an effect on the
browser pages.]

I think it might be your CSS rules. Try putting this in your css file and see if it makes any difference:

a:visited
{
color: #e6d1ee;
}

5. How and where do we add a "Continue Shopping"
button to the checkout section both for the Buy One
Now and Add One to Basket so that they can go back and
forth anytime before they pay for their items?

I believe there are some modules that do this, but I use Javascript and cookies to do it. I'll post the code if you're interested.

Thank you kindly for any assistance you can provide. If this is not the proper forum to ask these questions, would someone please advise where I can go to find the answers.

The best place to receive support for just about anything related to Merchant is Miva's user groups/forums (http://smallbusiness.miva.com/support/usr_grps/).

Amy Louise
07-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Dear Rispku:
Thank you so much for replying to me. I appreciate your help.

I did originally try to post these questions to the Miva forums--but I couldn't join them, even after several attempts. I followed their instructions (" To post a message to the user group mailing list, send an email to listname@listmgr.miva.com and include a brief description of the problem in the subject line. Replace "listname" above with the listname of the user group you are posting to from the table above") however, each time I tried to send it with the correct listname of the group I wanted to join (the Merchant 4), it bounced back to me something about this was a "loop" message (I forget what the message said since it was about 2 weeks ago now). I even tried to directly e-mail their small business dept. to try to get them to help me get into the forum, and that message also bounced back to me. I gave up in frustration after several tries.

Anyway, thank you again for your assistance. It's much appreciated.
Amy

rispku
07-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi Amy,

I wasn't sure if you actually wanted it, but here's the javascript I use to put a "Continue Shopping" link on my basket page.

I use Viking Coder's free module to redirect customers to their basket whenever they add anything to it, and in this case, the script works perfectly -- assuming they have javascript enabled.

You can either put this directly into the basket screen's header or, you can do as I did, and put it in a .js file, and call it from the location you want the link to appear.

<!--

ref = new String(document.referrer);
name = "contshop=";

function getRef()
{
if (document.cookie.length > 0)
{
begin = document.cookie.indexOf(name);
if (begin != -1)
{
begin += name.length;
end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", begin);
if (end == -1)
{
end = document.cookie.length;
}
return unescape(document.cookie.substring(begin, end));
}
}
return -1;
}

if (ref.match(/^http/i)!=null)
{
if ((ref.indexOf("merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY") != -1) || (ref.indexOf("merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD") != -1))
{
document.cookie = name + escape(ref);
document.write("<a href="+ref+">Continue Shopping</a>");

}
else
{
if (getRef() != -1)
{
document.write("<a href="+getRef()+">Continue Shopping</a>");
}
else
{
document.write("<a href=http://www.yourdomain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=storecode>Continue Shopping</a>");
}
}
}
else
{
if (getRef() != -1)
{
}
else
{
document.write("<a href=http://www.yourdomain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=storecode>Continue Shopping</a>");
}
}

//-->

I highlighted the things you should change in red.

If you chose to place the script in a seperate file, you can call it like this:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="path/to/script.js"></script>
<noscript><a href="http://www.yourdomain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=storecode">Continue Shopping</a></noscript>

I know there's quite a bit of redundancy in the script, but I figured it was better safe than sorry.

The script works by reading the referring link, and checking to see if it includes either "Screen=CTGY" or "Screen=PROD". This would indicate that the customer entered the basket screen via a category listing or a product page. If it detects either of these substrings, it will store the entire URL in a cookie, and then print the URL into the link.

It was necessary to save the URL to a cookie in case the customer decides to edit/remove items from their basket. Had this not been done, the script would read the referring location (the basket page!) and spit out the alternate link -- in this case, a link to the Store Front.

This script has worked quite well for me, but it does require the use of the previously mentioned module. This is not to say it can't be used without it, however, but it would require some modifications. I'll make a follow-up post about that, since this one is getting a bit long.

rispku
07-30-2005, 09:57 AM
If you don't want to use the module I mentioned, there are other alternatives.

I had another method in mind before I settled on the previous script, and it may even be a better way to go about it.

As opposed to capturing the referring location on the basket page, you could include this script in the global header of your site, and set the cookie on every relevant page.

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
url = new String(document.location);
name = "contshop=";
if ((url.indexOf("merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY") != -1) || (url.indexOf("merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD") != -1))
{
document.cookie = name + escape(url);
}
</script>

It's basically doing the same thing as before, but this way you won't have to rely on getting the location from the referral (some browsers let you turn referrals off).

Then you'd have to change the script on your basket page to something similar to this:

<!--
name = "contshop=";

function getRef()
{
if (document.cookie.length > 0)
{
begin = document.cookie.indexOf(name);
if (begin != -1)
{
begin += name.length;
end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", begin);
if (end == -1)
{
end = document.cookie.length;
}
return unescape(document.cookie.substring(begin, end));
}
}
return -1;
}

if (getRef() != -1)
{
}
else
{
}

//-->

I haven't tested any of the code in this post, so you might have to tweak it a bit. It may be a good idea to have your web designer take a look at it and/or make fun of me and my bad javascript code.

Either way, good luck!

rispku
09-21-2005, 09:27 AM
I just switched to the second 'continue shopping' script I posted. I noticed a couple of errors that I missed when I originally made the post, which prevented the script from setting the cookie, but have now corrected them.

It should work properly now -- it does on my site.