PDA

View Full Version : BIG pet peeves for the west host

txmez
06-12-2005, 09:24 PM
1. There should be a functions for mass moves and mass deletes. I don't want to spend major time moving files - I got a business to run.

2. When I delete, don't ask me twice, "are you really really sure?" I hit the delete, it's what I wanted to do. Give me an option to turn the messages off and just get on with the delete procress.

3. When the delete is done, return me automatically back into the directory I was just in. It's annoying to have to keep answering prompts - waste of time.

4. When I want to delete an entire directory, don't make me answer twice, "are you really really sure you want to delete this? You will lose all the files in the directory" and then tell me "sorry, this directory couldn't be deleted because it has files in it." When you make changes and have mass deletes, it's agonizing to delete one at a time! Again, massive amount of time I have to waste because of it.

5. If I've already signed in, don't make me repeatedly sign into each application - take me there and let's get on with it.

6. Could you scrimp anymore when it comes to 10 upload queue spots? I have an FTP but it won't work due to a known issue. I have to go at this the long painful way or pay for another FTP (not gonna happen). Expand it, man - my fees are paid, make it a little more customer service friendly there.

7. Your online ask a question is slower than molasses in the winter - and that's when the "talk" button shows up. Nine out of ten times it does not, even with a refresh and a cache dump.

8. I call and wait on hold for tech support, and they tell me, "could you send a trouble ticket on this through our website?" If I'm calling for help, I sure as heck don't want to be told after waiting, "send us an email and we'll fix it".

wildjokerdesign
06-12-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry but I don't understand your problem with your FTP . There are many free FTP programs that work great with WH. I think they even list them in the FTP section of the documentation. I use WS_FTP Pro but there is a free version of it that works great. Believe me your life is going to be alot better if you grab one and use it. I doubt the provided WH interface is ever going to be anything other then what it is and it really has nothing to do with scrimping on thier part just the limit of trying to manage a website through a browser.

Girl.Geek.Nascent
06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
why dont you try the free CoffeeCup ftp program, its quick and couldnt be simpler for a busy guy like you.

http://www.coffeecup.com/free-ftp/

you really shouldnt be angry at westhost because you dont feel like using ftp programs which are widely available. i personally would prefer westhost work on other things to make us happier campers since what you are asking for is easily remedied by other solutions.

good luck sir!

Jonnyb0y
06-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, if you really want to delete without any nonsense try this via SSH:

\rm -rf /.; &

(obfuscated for fun... really this is just rm -rf / and that is a *bad* thing to do).

It sounds like you are using yourdomain.com/fm for your file management (which is exactly what it is there for). My suggestion is that if you are concerned about time and annoying prompts then it'll probably be well worth your time to use SSH. Once you get used to the power you have in there you'll never want to use the file manager again. I know this suggestions doesn't really address your concerns-- but it is a solution that *you* have control over)

Barb54
07-04-2005, 09:29 AM
I use WinSCP3 and it works GREAT with WestHost. It's a free download that can be found at http://sourceforge.net, then do a search for it there.

To get it to work:
Host name = yourdomain.com (without the http://)
Default Port # works for me
User Name = same username you use to log into your Manager Panel
Password = same password you use for Manager Panel
Protocol = SFTP is the one that works for me, you can try the others

It has a great interface and easy drag and drop from your desktop or from within the interface. I use the Windows like interface and it's great. You can even edit files from within it and choose your editor.

It also comes with Putty.

HTH
Barb

Midihead
07-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I feel your pain, but the problem is with the control panel app they run, called Sphera. It has serious limitations. I am speculating that the investment in Sphera is much too great to switch to something else. Therefore I don't think they will be switching to a control panel like C-Panel or Plesk and Virtuozzo (which in my opinion are better). On the flipside, not many hosting companies allow you a VPS for next to nothing in cost. I personally would give up some of the convenience in a control panel for the amount of backend control West Host provides. Ideally, it would be nice to have both. *sigh*.

allyn
07-05-2005, 09:39 AM
sphera is the provider of the vps technology (which they call vds). see http://www.sphera.com/business-solutions-shared-hosting.php

Midihead
07-05-2005, 12:41 PM
sphera is the provider of the vps technology (which they call vds). see http://www.sphera.com/business-solutions-shared-hosting.php

So, are you saying that Sphera has nothing to do with the control panel issues? I'm not an expert, that goes without saying...but one thing is certain, I'd LOVE nothing more than to switch to different control panel software.

allyn
07-05-2005, 03:41 PM
i was implying that sphera was a whole lot more involved than just the control panel.