PDA

View Full Version : Obsolete applications

D_Rosenberg
05-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Your advertising materials claim that we can install and upgrade applications in our VPS as we need. However, we cannot update, for instance, sendmail. What is even worse is the fact that the version of sendmail that was installed on our VPS (3 days ago when we signed up) is 4 years old and suffers from many security issues.

Currently installed version: 8.11.6 - August 2001

Latest version available at http://sendmail.org: 8.13.4 - March 2005

Please either allow us to update all applications on our VPS, or update sendmail for us.

Thank you.
D. Rosenberg

zaval
06-05-2005, 10:00 AM
I would join Rosenberg's request on sendmail update. There are several problems with the mail system in general:
1) security issues;
2) lack of SSL support;
3) lack of IMAP support.

I have tried to install custom mail system for our domain - the combination of IMAP+Postfix+MySQL works perfectly in test environment, but when I tried to move it to WestHost I found that this violates WestHost's policy. In theory we can modify any app within our VPN, in reality we cannot touch neither sendmail nor apache.

P.S. typical load on our server - load average: 9.06, 10.70, 11.62
which means sendmail with default settings can simply stop mail delivery.
dnl define(`confQUEUE_LA', `12')dnl
dnl define(`confREFUSE_LA', `18')dnl

--
Alexander

Serg
09-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Absolutely agree. When I asked the support about sendmail upgrade I got this:

"The version of Sendmail that we are running is woven around the VPS software that we use. While it cannot be removed in favor of another outgoing mail server, it should be possible to add another version of Sendmail onto the account.

If this is something you would like to attempt, you can send a request to our custom services department. They should be able to help you with the installation. The request can be sent to them through the following URL:

http://corp2.westhost.com/customservices/
"

Nice!! Now I have to pay at least(!) $95 for a job that I expect to be done as a part of regular servers care.

But they call the upgrade of the 4 year old sendmail - "Custom Service".

WestHost - CRussell
09-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Hello Everyone,

Yes Sendmail does need an update and it's in the works. We hope to have it out soon.