PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling a custom install.

wildjokerdesign
05-22-2005, 06:50 AM
I was reading this post (http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16729#16729) by jalal and it made be wonder how you go about removeing something that you have tried to install via SSH that may have failed. I know this may be too broad a question but thought since there is the commands make, make install and configure that perhaps there was something that either kept track of such attempts that could be used to back out of a failed attempt or if there would be a common file within a package that is downloaded that might be usefull for such a thing.

I have seen the bash log in the root that keeps track of commands that are entered but it does not log the actions of those commands is there perhaps a log or some way to turn a log on when installing someting that would document all that information that flys by on the screen and is to fast to read. :)

jalal
05-22-2005, 07:54 AM
The short answer is no, there is no logging for the actions of a shell command.

In the case of the install three-step (./configure,make,make install) I usually do a dummy run of the third step (with 'make -n install') which will tell me what it is going to do without actually doing anything. I can pipe that to less if it is a lot of output, otherwise I just look through and see what is being installed where.

Another options is to use find to list files that have changed recently, something like:

$ find /usr/ -mmin -20 -print
which will list all files that have appeared/changed in the last 20 minutes.

HTH

wildjokerdesign
05-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Yes that does help quite a bit actually. The "dry run" option for make install is a great tip. Bit by bit I learn more. Thanks.

torrin
05-22-2005, 10:38 AM
I think people would be better off using the --prefix option in the configure script to install to a different directory. That way, you don't have to go picking and choosing what to delete. Just delete the directory.

This is the type of stuff that happens when you don't have access to package managers and such.

wildjokerdesign
05-22-2005, 04:54 PM
See I don't fully understand the process of what happens I think. You could install it into it's own directory but what if the install somehow alters already existing files on the server. Or is that something that doesn't happen?