PDA

View Full Version : new user, general ?'s

pacer
05-20-2005, 04:17 PM
friend of mine had a company building a miva site. things went bad and they are no longer doing it, but it is unfinished. i have agreed to help her out. i have a couple of questions about code he entered.

1. in the products, when in the attributes there is a code box. let's say he entered 4/4 as a code, if i edit that line then update, it says that
"codes may only contain letters, numbers, underscores (_) and
dashes (-)." he has this type of code all through the product attributes.
how was he able to enter the (/) charecter? will this have any ill effects on the overall site function? should these codes be universal for all products or specific for each product? do they have any ties between each product?

2. the site at this time has 240 products. when i export product list it has 1750 with duplicates over and over. obviously it not supposed to be, is there an easy way to make this reflect the real product amount?

i know i may have other questions i just hope you don't mind helping.

thanks
pacer

jmh
09-25-2005, 10:19 AM
friend of mine had a company building a miva site. things went bad and they are no longer doing it, but it is unfinished. i have agreed to help her out. i have a couple of questions about code he entered.

1. in the products, when in the attributes there is a code box. let's say he entered 4/4 as a code, if i edit that line then update, it says that
"codes may only contain letters, numbers, underscores (_) and
dashes (-)." he has this type of code all through the product attributes.
how was he able to enter the (/) charecter? will this have any ill effects on the overall site function? should these codes be universal for all products or specific for each product? do they have any ties between each product?
[/quotes]

Will have ill affects. Remove all illegal characters!
[quote]

2. the site at this time has 240 products. when i export product list it has 1750 with duplicates over and over. obviously it not supposed to be, is there an easy way to make this reflect the real product amount?

i know i may have other questions i just hope you don't mind helping.

thanks
pacer

Sounds like they really screwed up things. The only thing I have experience with is Storeman (http://www.jmhonline.net/miva-modules/storeman) which could handle this problem easily. Maybe someone else has experience with this problem and fixing it with flat files.