PDA

View Full Version : DNS Change - Waiting 4 days now!

stevenyi
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Hello,

In the process of migrating a 1.0 to 2.0 account. So far, I've emailed twice (Sunday and Monday) and called twice yesterday (Tuesday) regarding getting the DNS switched over to the 2.0 account.

Last message I got yesterday (after my second call) was the following:

I will notify our systems administrator to proceed with the DNS update to point to your 2.0 account. I appreciate your time regarding this matter. I will notify you once the DNS has been updated, after that, your 1.0 account will be deleted in 72 hours. Have a pleasant week!

My message was numbered #1098716. Since DNS changes can take well up to a day to propagate out, I've now waited at least four days and am wondering how long it will take before my DNS change request will really be handled. This has delayed my testing of the 2.0 account and has now made the timing of the migration inconvenient as I was planning to have this all tested before travelling this upcoming weekend.

Also, is this the norm with service regarding DNS changes and 2.0 accounts? With the 1.0 account, service was generally fairly prompt(minus the year and a half wait for the 2.0 migration tool that never happened...), but it's a little bit worrisome that something as simple as a DNS change request hasn't even been done yet.

Thanks,
steven

wildjokerdesign
04-20-2005, 05:13 PM
If you just started migrateing your account on Sunday and they already have the request to change the DNS then I would say you are in pretty good shape. I would say that a normal switch form 1.0 to 2.0 takes around a week depending on how fast you can get your new files uploaded to the new account and then let them know you are ready.

Once you are switched over to 2.0 I think you'll find the time it takes to make changes to your account is much faster then with 1.0. :) Many things you had to wait on for WH to get to will now be under your control. It's well worth the headache of migration.

Let use know if you need any help getting around the 2.0 interface and set up. It can be a bit a daunting when you first switch.

stevenyi
04-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi WildJokerDesign,

I'm fairly competent with web management and developement and am looking forward to the 2.0 (have been for a while...), and was able to migrate all my data and resetup the whole server already, and now have waited 4 days for a DNS change request to go through. If WestHost would have processed my DNS change request in a timely fashion, I could have tested and finished with the whole migration by now and not have to worry that I will be travelling and dealing with all of this. Waiting one day or two I can accept, waiting four days after two emails and two phone calls is not exactly what I would consider prompt and courteous service.

So, still checking my email box to be notified that the DNS change has happened and still nothing. I've emailed, I've called, I've now posted on this forum. I don't know what else one is supposed to do to get a dns switch done. Any recommendations? (5 years with Westhost now and I can't believe this is the level of service I am receiving... :( )

Thanks,
steven

wildjokerdesign
04-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you have taken all the right steps. The only thing I can suggest is to keep on top of it. Try to always make contact with the same tech if you can. Your ticket number should allow them to track that if you didn't get a name. Adding a reply to the ticket would be sent to the same tech unless it is esculated to a higher tech which actually is even better and what you want. Explaining to them your situation may help. Wish I had more for you.

stevenyi
04-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi WildJoker,

Well I tried using the chat panel and *finally* got somewhere. I have to say I'm overall disappointed in the whole DNS change experience, but it's nice to finally be able to test and move on.

Thanks very much for your replies, it's been nice to have someone to chat about this with.

steven