PDA

View Full Version : AWStats update

jalal
03-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Hi all

I've updated the
AWStats section (http://codeworks.gnomedia.com/westhost-introduction/setting-up-awstats/) on my site to cover installation of the latest version of AWStats. It follows a different, simpler, installation method and shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes.

I recommend that all AWStats users upgrade, as some of the older packages do have security weaknesses.

cheers

wildjokerdesign
03-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Very cool. I have not used Awstats yet but this seems like a no brainer. :)

After you give the SSH commnad for downloading the file from the Awstats site you have this sentence:

and follow the instructions to download it.
On my first read of instructions I thought it was a sentence not needed but now I see that the command given started out with "lynx" does that open a page from the awstates site that you read? My first interputation was that it would download the package.

I assume that pico can be used instead of vim to edit files. I still have not been able to figure out how to use vim. :) Any reason I should dig deeper and figure out vim?

In the part about password protecting the directory you give the command for createing the .htpasswd file and I see username but no refrence to a password. Does the next step of .htpassword only require a username to be entered and no password?

Your change to for the httpd.conf in the paragraph above may be missed by some. Not really sure what you can do to make it clearer but I did almost miss it. I kept expecting to see something below that like you did for the .htaccess and .htpasswd files. I then went "duh" and realized you had given the instructions right there. :)

Your last comment in the install proceedure is to update the cron tab with the new path to the script. Since I have not installed this in the past not sure what I would be updateing. I have a feeling it is mentioned here somewhere in the forums but it would be great to have a bit more detail on that part or a pointer on where to find the infromation.

**** this ended up sounding like I am picking the page apart.... I really didn't mean to do that. These are observations from the one who is still learning SSH. THanks again for takeing the time to do this. I'm going to give it a try!

jalal
03-21-2005, 08:25 AM
After you give the SSH commnad for downloading the file from the Awstats site you have this sentence:

and follow the instructions to download it.
On my first read of instructions I thought it was a sentence not needed but now I see that the command given started out with "lynx" does that open a page from the awstates site that you read? My first interputation was that it would download the package.

No, there is no direct link to download the package and for some people it may be easier to download it locally and then upload the package to the site.
The link I gave takes you to SourceForge, where you have to choose a mirror site to download from.

I assume that pico can be used instead of vim to edit files. I still have not been able to figure out how to use vim. :) Any reason I should dig deeper and figure out vim?

The sheer satisfaction of mastering one of the most obscure user interfaces ever devised by man??? And yet, one of the most universal programs available for editing...

But, to answer your question, it doesn't matter what you use for editing the files. Just don't use the FileManager in the Site Manager!

In the part about password protecting the directory you give the command for createing the .htpasswd file and I see username but no refrence to a password. Does the next step of .htpassword only require a username to be entered and no password?

The htpasswd program will prompt for the password (twice).

Your change to for the httpd.conf in the paragraph above may be missed by some. Not really sure what you can do to make it clearer but I did almost miss it. I kept expecting to see something below that like you did for the .htaccess and .htpasswd files. I then went "duh" and realized you had given the instructions right there. :)

Yeah, I could clarify that a bit... I'll do that.

Your last comment in the install proceedure is to update the cron tab with the new path to the script. Since I have not installed this in the past not sure what I would be updateing. I have a feeling it is mentioned here somewhere in the forums but it would be great to have a bit more detail on that part or a pointer on where to find the infromation.

Yes, I'll add a bit about that when I clarify the above stuff.

**** this ended up sounding like I am picking the page apart.... I really didn't mean to do that. These are observations from the one who is still learning SSH. THanks again for takeing the time to do this. I'm going to give it a try!

It's great to have the feedback, to hear what may be confusing and needs clearing up. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I wrote the article in a bit of a hurry as I had a couple of attacks on old installations of AWStats and realized that I needed to upgrade them in a hurry, which I did and wrote it up as I was doing it.

I do steer clear of giving detailed instructions on how to do things in the shell. One of the things that I've realized is that by providing the information that I do, I give admins the chance of making a real mess of things if they don't understand what they are doing, so I always write as if I'm writing for someone who knows what it means to copy and rename files, create and unpack tar files, make directories and edit files and so on. If you are not sure of these basics, then its best to set aside one or two evenings (or a long rainy weekend) and learn how to use the bash shell and associated programs. Or install cygwin and have the real thing under windows!

Thanx again.