PDA

View Full Version : Reseller Marketing and Advertising

pipespring
03-05-2005, 10:46 AM
What successes have you had with marketing and advertising? I've mostly relied on word of mouth to get new customers. Last year I also placed an advertisement in the college newspaper at the local university but no new customers came from it.

Do most of you use reselling as an added service to an existing business or is this your main business?

jalal
03-05-2005, 02:25 PM
I use reselling as an added service to an existing client base. I have a few new clients that have only hosting, but in the main, they are clients that I provide other services for.

I estimate that in order to make reseller hosting a main business, I would probably need something in the order of a thousand clients or so, which is not really practical for me at present (it would involve a lot of marketing and advertising).

I'd certainly be interested to hear of anyone who does manage to make it a business.

pipespring
03-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Could WestHost give us some recommendations for good places to advertise or other successful marketing techniques?.

jalal
03-06-2005, 03:57 AM
On the members home page (http://members.westhost.com/) there are some pages on marketing and such (under Website/Promoting Website) but this doesn't really cover acting as a Reseller.

wildjokerdesign
03-06-2005, 08:15 AM
I am like Jalal and use my reseller account for consolidateing my own sites and for some of my wedesign clients.

The page metioned does have the info on Overture which is a paid search engine listing service. I think that type of service would be your best bet. Competetion can be pretty steep in webhosting so it would take something like that to get the volumn of bussiness you would need to make it a steady income. If you can somehow make your hosting company somehow unique that would help. What could you offer that the other companies do not offer.

Pretty sure there are those that have done this since in one of my explorerations on the net I have found webhosting companies that I am pretty sure are resellers for WestHost. That are they are hijackeing WH content. :) These companies I have found tie in to some of the documentaion on WH which how I found them.

It would be nice to have a bit more documentation on this from WH and my hope is that once they have finnished the current re-vamp of the basic accounts they will move on to the reseller accounts.

I am very open on my site about the fact that I resell for WH. I'm not as concerned with keeping that fact hidden as others. My veiwpoint on it since I am more on the webdesign side is that I can offer the service of building a persons site with them and get it going on a WH account since I have worked with the company and understand their set up. If there was a way to really extend this that I knew WH would support i.e. I am listed on the account as the tech but the owner could still call into WH support if they needed and administer their account themselves. That is one big issue with me and why I have not really pushed selling. There is now way as an individual that I can offer the support for an account at the level WH can. One I do not have the knowledge resources that WH has and two there is no way I am willing to answer the phone at 4am for a support call. :)

Right now the documentation for a reseller account is a bit weak I think in time, hopefully this will change. You really have to be willing to dig in and find things out for yourself. WH is always there via support methods but the more you know the easier it will be. I keep haveing to rethink how to give an account an add on featur via the Reseller Manager since it is not clearly detailed in the documentation. :)

A reseller account is a great tool but it is just that. It is not a full package program that you buy that gives you a bussiness ready made. The bussiness is up to you just as if you where going to open up any other bussiness you would create a plan and then search out the different tools you needed to build it.

I have tried to answer you post a couple times now and keep giveing up and comeing back to it each day. Guess I'll let this one ride even though I am still not sure it is really the answer you wanted. :D Hope it helps.

pipespring
03-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for everyone's comments. Just as a note, I contacted WH about using content on their site for my own and they said I was welcome to use graphics and wording from their site. I too would like to see some help from WH to help resellers build the business. WH has already done it to get where they are so I would think that it wouldn't be hard for them to share. When we resellers are successful then WH also succeeds.

One idea I had was to be able to brand WH's site. Maybe that's getting more into an affiliate program.

wildjokerdesign
03-06-2005, 04:39 PM
That is good to know about the use of WH content. They do have the affiliate program which I also belong to. That does work by the way and have had a bit of success with it. Pretty easy concidering all you have to do is post a link. :)

Maybe we can get some dialogue going that well help all of use and perhaps give WH some food for thought in makeing some changes to Resellers program.

One thing I was unable to find clear information on in the WH documentation was after createing an Add On and applying to a Service Package how to go about applying it to an individual account. To do this you go to the account in question and then click the Edit button. On the next page is listed Domain, Enabled, Service Package, Service plan name for customer, Notes and Reseller. There is a check box next to Service Package labled Apply service package. This must be checked before you hit the Next button in order to have the page displayed where you can apply an Addon to that account. If it is not checked then you are taken straight to the Contact Details page.

jalal
03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Just discovered www.webhostingtalk.com, they have a forum dedicated to Reselling, could be worth a look.

wildjokerdesign
03-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Cool.... Thanks Jalal.
BTW you got a comma in the link so it doesn't work. :)

skytimelapse
03-28-2005, 02:27 AM
The best advice I can give for succeeding as a hosting reseller is to offer something different. That's really all the info I should give though. :wink: