PDA

View Full Version : Need a Form script that's easy to customize

Kenny@KPFdigital
03-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Hello,

I have a form on a client's site that is a member survey. I desire that the questions themselves get appended before the answers in the email generated by the FormMail script.

The page is at: http://www.nlgjany.org/survey.php (The name and label attributes of some form fields are still mess in the xhtml after my experimenting with them.)

The address and name feilds are working fine, it's the radio button questions that are giving me the problems.

I want the client to receive an email from the form, which shows the question asked, and the text of the checked answer(s).

Like:
Name: Joe Boxer
Address: 123 Street Avenue

1) What activities would you like to volunteer in?
Networking
Fund raising
Box office

2) What are your goals?
Increase business
New contacts

So is this a matter of the form labels and names, or is it a matter of modifying the FormMail script. Or perhaps there is another script that allows what I desire?

Thanks for the help!

jalal
03-01-2005, 02:09 AM
FormMail is not very customizable in that respect and I don't think you can do what you want. You don't say what level of programming experience you have, but I would suggest it is best to look around for a more appropriate script.

I've always written what I need in PHP, it's very straight forward, so I can't recommend any packaged scripts, but I'm sure they are out there.
Someone may drop by with a recommendation.
8)

wildjokerdesign
03-01-2005, 06:50 AM
NMS has a version of FormMail that is "enhanced" called TFMail. You can find out about it on their programs page here: http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

You can format the output kind of like we used to be able to with cgi-email with the use of templates. It took me a little bit to get the hang of if but at least you don't have to mess with the program itself.

sunzon
03-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Following up on what Jalal said, formmail scripts are easy to write and a great entry to learning a bit of programming.
I myself (still) prefer writing in perl, if you want a case example for inspiration, I can pm you the coding of one I use you can then adjust to your needs.

Kenny@KPFdigital
03-01-2005, 08:28 AM
Sunzon,

That would a great help if you could pm (how does that work anyway?) me a sample to learn from. I don't have a lot of programming experience, but I'll take a try at it.

Thanks to wildjokerdesign for the tfmail idea, I'll take a look at that too.

wildjokerdesign
03-01-2005, 10:15 AM
If you have any questions on TFmail I'll try to answer them for you. I just kept reading every FAQ and info file I could find on it on thier site and in the install package.

If Sunzon PM's you the code a pop up message will appear the next time you visit the board. If for some reason you have a pop up blocker on your browser this won't happen but you can always click the You have no new messages to check for missed messages. If you have a new message that link should change but if you missed the message on a visit then it changes back to the no messages when you visit the next time.

sunzon
03-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Kenny,

I sent you a PM

Kenny@KPFdigital
03-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks so much sunzon. I'll take a look at that tomorrow or Thursday when I get some time to sit and check it out.

Thanks again for the script. And thatnks to WJD for the offer on the TFmail set up help. I'm gonna try the thing sunzon sent first. I'll post back the results.

TTFN!